Author Topic: February Blue update  (Read 2710 times)

thegregger

February Blue update
« on: April 02, 2009, 05:09:51 AM »
Seriously, if this picture won't make you laugh, then nothing will.  This poor guy is giving the Tower of Pisa a run for the money.  Do you think it's time to clean the cheese 'fridge?

Clearly, I have some white mold that is determined to turn all my blue cheeses into Cambrozola, without my consent.

It's a pretty young cheese (despite the appearance), but I opened it up and it tastes darn good.

Greg

thebelgianpanda

Re: February Blue update
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 05:19:19 AM »
As I am venturing into blue cheese land, I Need Details!!  How young is it?  What did you use to inoculate it?  Where has it been?  Can I have a slice?

It looks yummy to me though :)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 07:48:31 AM »
Who sneezed on your plate? LOL aside from the runny part it does look good. White mold won't hurt anything, check out John's Cambolza posts that a combo of blue and white mold.

thegregger

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 12:28:48 AM »
Carter:

Thanks for the laugh.  I don't mind the white mold; just the fact that my cheese sprung a leak!

Panda:

Blue is my favorite cheese to make.  I think it's much more unique, flavorful, and interesting than Mozzarella or Jack.  I put in salads, soups, pizza, steaks, or I just eat it straight up. 

Anyway, I think it's really easy to make, as well.  Milk temp is 90 degrees from start to finish, and I use the usual amount of meso starter, and some Penicillin Roq. for the blue veins.

Next time I make a batch, I'll put pictures, times, and pH values up on the forum.

Best,

Greg

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 12:33:50 PM »
Greg, it actually looks very nice to me, hope it tastes great!

chilipepper

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 05:11:50 PM »
Greg, somehow that looks very similar to my Stilton here.

This one however I did not let go full term and ditched it as it just didn't smell good.  However in hind sight I should have just stuck with it and wait and see.  I did that recently with one of my camembert batches that just didn't smell right and it eventually came back to life and ended up really good.  This patience thing is hard to get a grasp on! :)  We also need to realize there are a lot of 'stages' cheese goes through and some may not look or smell as good as others and before jumping to conclusions we just need to let it run its course.

Anyway, if it tastes good appearance is all secondary!

Ryan