Author Topic: How vigorously to wash?  (Read 3448 times)

JimInNJ

How vigorously to wash?
« on: November 24, 2014, 03:56:28 AM »
There is plenty of information available about why to wash rinds, and how often, and what with, and sequential colonization by yeasts and bacteria, and deacidifacation and resolubilization...  But almost nothing about the actual physical act of washing.

I am attempting to make a generic washed rind cheese. (Pasteurized cows milk, MM100, ARN, rennet, salt...) After a week I had a nice even coating fo off-white slippery damp greassy stuff.  Rubbing with a brine-wet cloth had no effect on the coating, until I got more vigerous, then it started coming off in patches.

At this point I realised that I had no idea what I was doing.  Was I supposed to be washing the coating, or removing the coating, or was the coating I removed actually the developing rind that I was supposed to be washing?

Could someone please educate me about the appropriate washing of rinds, and how the thoroughness of washing at various stages of ripening/affinage affects the finished cheese.

Thanks!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: How vigorously to wash?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 02:35:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Jim.

Pictures help. So does a little more detail about your make process. Are you working from a recipe?
What "coating" are you talking about?
What cheese style is this that you're attempting? 
                      "a generic washed rind cheese"...what is that?

Typically, a cheese begins to develop a rind because of cultures added at make time, morge applied post-make, or through the native terroir. There are different washed rinds...they are not all the same. More information would be helpful.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JimInNJ

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 04:44:19 PM »
The recipe is a mashup of several found on the internet and in “Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking”, tailored to materials and equipment on hand.  My goal was not so much to make a specific cheese, but to get a first run through the process, exposing areas I didn’t understand.

I will need to learn more about “different washed rinds”.  I was envisioning something like Limburger/Brick/Port Salut/Munster/Various Normandys.  Orange-brown rinds with a dusting of geo, aroma from B. linens, and an interior somewhere between runny and springy.

I think what I am specifically looking for in this post is to understand how the actual physical washing technique influences the different washed rind styles.

The “coating” I am talking about is whatever biofilm grew on the cheese.  I assume it is mostly Geotrichum candidum, with Brevibacterium linens and Arthrobacter nicotianae, since that is what is in ARN.  I am working with pasteurized milk, and my cave is a well sanitized celery crisper, so there shouldn’t be much else growing there.  The coating (I do not know the correct word for it) was about as thick as one or two index cards, and appears to be growing back now.

Pictures may follow as time permits.

My recipe/notes from the make:

Small Washed Rind Cheese          (11/15/2014)
1 gallon pasteurized whole milk from supermarket
1/8 teaspoon of MM100
1/32 teaspoon ARN
1/8 teaspoon Calcium Chloride in 1/8 cup cool non-chlorinated water
Scant 1/8 tsp single strength rennet in 1/8 cup cool non-chlorinated water
13g Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt (2% of 640g weight of drained cheese)
3 Saint Marcellin molds

Heat milk to 90°F.
Sprinkle cultures on milk.  Let set 3 – 5 minutes, then stir in.
Ripen 60 minutes.
Stir in diluted Calcium Chloride.
Stir in diluted Rennet.  (all that measuring, diluting and stirring added 15 minutes)
Rest 45 minutes and check for clean break.
Cut curds 3/4 inch.  Rest  5 minutes.  Stir intermittently 20 minutes.  Settle 5 minutes.  Maintaining 90°F.
Remove whey to curd level (did not do).  Ladle curds into (lined) molds.
Turn after 5 min, 30 min and 6 hours.  Drain total 12 hours.  (turned as schedule permitted, total draining about 16 hours)
Unmold onto draining mat.  Salt and let sit at room temp 2-4 hours, flip and finish salting.  (lost some salt, so added a bit more the next day)
The cheese is being kept in a Tupperware celery crisper at about 63F and enough humidity to keep the cheese damp but not wet.  Flip every day.
Hold cheese 3 days before initial wash by simply flipping it and returning to its covered box.
On day 3 following salting, wash the cheese surface with a cloth dipped in light brine.  (1 tblsp salt in 1 cup water)
Repeat washing every three days for two or three weeks then wash all surface mold away and move Tupperware box to top shelf of refrigerator.
Monitor and continue flipping for 3-6 weeks.

JimInNJ

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 05:13:58 PM »
Current picture.  Pink color is reflection from mat. Crumbs on surface are remnants from last washing when most of surface came off.

Stinky

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 04:42:52 AM »
I've found that brushing with a nail brush works a bit better on washed and smeared rinds than a cloth. I think it moves things around a bit more.

On that note, Alp's treatise.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 08:13:28 AM »
Thank you for a good description of the washing process. :-)

JimInNJ

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 03:39:05 AM »
Thank you Stinky. Alp's Treatise was exactly the kind of information I was looking for!

- Jim

Stinky

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 02:55:17 PM »
Glad I could be of help.  :)

JimInNJ

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 04:16:22 PM »
Four months later and it is cheese!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 04:19:29 PM »
Beautiful result!!  AC4U for an excellent cheese!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Stinky

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 04:54:12 PM »
Pretty! A cheese for your cheese.

How does it taste?

JimInNJ

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 07:36:12 PM »
Moderate stinky cheese aroma.  Oozing but not runny texture.  Nice creamy, nutty flavor.  Some prickly sharpness at the back/sides of tongue.

Only two of four tasters noticed the sharpness.  I would like to reduce this attribute in the future, but I do not know what causes it.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 10:14:57 PM »
A cheese for you! :-)

John@PC

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 01:40:40 AM »
A cheese as well for the result and the educational value of your thread :)