Author Topic: Salt crystal in Parmigiano  (Read 4515 times)

aiannar974

Salt crystal in Parmigiano
« on: April 02, 2009, 02:37:42 PM »
Hello - Just a quick general interest question.

Parmigiano-Reggiano sometimes has a crunch to it that I think is salt.  Do you homemade parmigianos have this charactoristic?  I know I love it.

Anthony

wharris

Re: Salt crystal in Parmigiano
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 02:53:42 PM »
makkonen, posts in this thread that the crystals are  are Calcium Lactate, not salt.  In that thread you can see some crystals that I had on my old cheddar.

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 02:21:43 PM »
I believe that the crystals you mention are actually an amino acid, although I forget which one.

Michelle

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 08:38:34 PM »
no, the crystals are calcium lactate, not an amino acid.

The interesting thing is that these are often considered a 'fault' in cheddar cheese.  Whereas I think they add texture and interest to an aged cheese and prefer them!  The apperance of them depends on several factors including pH, but usually they arrive more through good luck rather than good management...

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 09:41:11 PM »
Actually, the crystals may be tyrosine (which is an amino acid) and/or calcium lactate.

zenith1

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 03:24:50 PM »
Thanks for your comments linuxboy. Here is a link that may help to clear up this issue. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrosine

wharris

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 03:46:16 PM »
I will say that as a whole, I am not a big fan of them.

I can understand them adding character to an old cheese, and I have come to expect them from very old/sharp cheddar.  (I have posted pics of these from an eight year old cheddar) 
But i don't like the texture they bring to the party.

zenith1

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 04:59:11 PM »
I somewhat agree Wayne. I do not find them objectionable in say an old Parm, but do not like them in a nice aged Cheddar.

fxcuisine

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 09:11:02 PM »
In an old Gruyère (more than 24 months old) these are rather desirable features and bring interest to the texture. As the cheese's flavors turn to caramel, this gives you the impression (I know it's not true of course) that you are eating some extraordinary sea-salt caramel. Difficult to understand unless you try it, but these old, crunchy Gruyeres are sold as "Gruyere Caramel".

zenith1

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »
I wasn't aware of that type of cheese. I think i"ll have to track some down and try it.