Author Topic: mozz yield  (Read 2028 times)

sunland

mozz yield
« on: November 24, 2014, 10:24:54 AM »
hi guys
  I have been working on mozzeralla cheese as for pizza cheese since about one year,experimenting many kinds of methods or recipes(using starter culture)
with regard to low moisture of Mozzeralla cheese needed for pizza,the yield of this cheese per 1 kilo of raw cow milk with 3% fat is about 100 gr ,whereas from this amount of milk, I make about 124 gr fresh mozzeralla.
As i am going to sell my homemade mozzarella cheese (good for pizza),for sure this yield would be low ,so would u let me know the best and exact yield of best mozzarella cheese for pizza per 1 kilo cow milk of 3%fat.

thanks a lot

John@PC

Re: mozz yield
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 09:25:25 PM »
Hi sunland and welcome.  I had to look up where Esfahan is.  Apparently pizza is popular in Iran?   Sorry I can't answer your mozz question as when I make it ANY yield is welcome :)/

sunland

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 08:12:14 AM »
hi John , thank you for your reply , yes you are right , in Iran pizza is the most popular fast food.
In pizza we use ham , sausage , vegetable such as mushroom and paprika ... and we need low moisture cheese .
we need sort of cheese  below 50% moisture with maximum yield. :-\
Can you help me what the most yield we can get from 1 kilo cow milk of 3% fat is ? ???

Stinky

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 06:03:25 PM »
I really can't answer your question from my own experience as I'm 0/8 as far as making mozzarella goes. Maybe someday.  :-\

John@PC

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 11:38:25 PM »
I really can't answer your question from my own experience as I'm 0/8 as far as making mozzarella goes. Maybe someday.  :-\
Stinky, I feel your pain :(.  I did have a good result on my no. 5 (or was it 6?) so there is a light at the end of the tunnel :).

Stinky

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 01:09:52 AM »
One of them was almost stretchable.  ;)

cheeseslovesu

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 08:21:07 AM »
I weighed up my mozzarella the other day and the yield was 22%. It is a very soft mozzarella with high moisture content. At least this might give you something to work with.
The milk was jersey so high fat content.

Frodage

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 03:34:07 PM »
I've been monitoring yield for my past four cheeses (124, 129, 114, 127 grams of cheese per litre milk). In each case the fat was 3%. One thing I haven't done is measure the mass of the starting milk.

Sunland - you want the mass of cheese per kilo of milk. Is there a way to convert my volume of milk to mass. That is, what is the density of milk containing 3% fat?

CheeseLovesU - you get 22% yield. Is that grams per kilo of milk?

cheeseslovesu

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 03:02:17 AM »
Ok so I have just looked at the bags of mozz and realised I was using buffalo milk. sorry.

But for interest sake the fresh buffalo milk yield: 3 Litres milk 650g cheese. Frozen buffalo milk yield: 4 litres milk 780g cheese.

I have a class tomorrow so will weigh the cheese once its made. They will be using fresian cow milk.

ps I have just posted my recipe on another post. Give it a try and let me know how you go.