Author Topic: Question on regulating humidity in a cheese cave  (Read 5542 times)

Zinger

Question on regulating humidity in a cheese cave
« on: April 02, 2009, 09:59:16 PM »
I've read the various posts about cheese caves, but I have a question specific to controlling humidity.

I am using a dorm fridge for aging my cheese. Most of them are cheddar which have been waxed, so for them I'm not too concerned about the humidity level in the fridge. But, I have one Parmesan that I put in there as well. The fridge is out in my garage and I don't even have it turned on because I can't get it warmer than 49 or 50 degrees even with it off. That will change as the weather warms up. I see that there is a way around the temperature problem with an external thermostat and I intend to research that further.

What I am finding is that the humidity level gets so high that the hygrometer goes off the digital humidity reading and simply says "very high". So I remove the Parm from the fridge and the humidity settles back down at which point I put the Parm back in. As the Parm continues to dry (which by the way has a nice rind to my way of thinking) will it cease to throw off so much moisture thus requiring me to start adding humidity to the fridge? Is this normal with a cheese like Parmesan?

Your thoughts and advice are always appreciated.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Question on regulating humidity in a cheese cave
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 11:20:54 PM »
Here are to cntrolers that will help with the temperature issues. Just plug your power cord into it and then stick the probe inside the fridge and your golden!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/temp-control.html

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 01:21:55 AM »
The contoller listed can be had on ebay for $50 if you have a little electrical experience.

As for the humidity it's hard becasue the cheese is giving off more than the frig can dissipate. Try putting a thin sheet of cardboard in the door and see how it goes.

LazerLoriel

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 10:43:06 AM »
           Thanks for the information in controlling humidity in cheese.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 04:45:21 PM »
No problem. If you have specific requirements post pics of your setup and we'll see if we can help.

siegfriedw

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 01:23:39 PM »
THis is what I just ordered: http://www.habitatmonitor.com/

It  can control Temp and humidity.  I had been using one of those external temp controllers but had problems with maintaining humidity so now I am going to automatically regulate both.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 04:04:21 PM »
What did it cost you if you don't mind me asking?

Tom Turophile

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 05:05:39 PM »
I'm looking to see if any of these products will work:

https://www.greenair.com/browse/control-stat-series.html

I'm referring to the excellent thread at EGullet on Charcuterie for guidance and suggestions.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 03:31:47 AM »
I didn't look to much (time for bed) but that egullet is a great site! Thanks for posting it.

siegfriedw

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 06:51:59 PM »
Habitat Monitor was just under $500 including humidifier, relay to control fridge and shipping.

siegfriedw

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 06:55:08 PM »

https://www.greenair.com/browse/control-stat-series.html

This looks like they have similar functionality to the Habitat monitor so should work. What is the price on the humidity and temp controller?