Author Topic: Colby Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 5790 times)

Cheese Head

Colby Cheese Making Recipe
« on: June 01, 2008, 10:56:31 PM »
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 02:32:49 PM by Webmaster »

Tea

Re: Colby Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 07:11:57 PM »
I decided to have a go at this cheese yesterday.
I used;
10lt fresh milk
200ml type A culture
2.5ml rennent

Everything else was as per the recipe, except for when the tap water was added.  As the tap water wasn't cool enough, I ended up adding cold fridge water.
Here are pics of innitial set, first turn of the curd, and the curd ready for washing with water.

Tea

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 07:14:29 PM »
Here are the curds ready for salting and pressing.

Tea

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 07:23:33 PM »
Next came the interesting part of pressing with 50lb.  Solution #1 was not very stable, so dragged out some weights and went with solution #2.  Unfortunately this press seems to always go lopsided, and so even though I tried to arrange the weights so that it wouldn't, this morning I discovered that again it had.  So disappointed with the final look, but otherwise it seems to be fine. 
The cheese has a springy/rubbery texture to it.  Now to dry it for a few days before waxing.

SalMac

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 08:01:02 PM »
Looks good even with the UFO aspect. Michaels got an incredibly cool UFO style cheese btw :-)

You've got great curd separation. I could only dream of that.

The weights thing I completely understand as I have the same style press and please remember I flipped cheese all over my kitchen before I worked it out.

I use n x 5L square bottles clipped together at the top. Its a lot easier to manage a centre of balance. I agree colby press number one looks scary.

I've never heard of colby so real interested in your assessment.

Sal
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 08:12:32 PM by SalMac »

Tea

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 08:49:30 PM »
I don't have a proper follower for that mould, and the only thing that fits it is a bread and butter plate.  So one side is always arched, while the other is lovely and flat.  Have decided that I need to get serious and get a follower made.
I have heard of Colby, but I have never tried it, so this is going to be new for me too.
Will take pic as I go.

Tea

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 06:47:04 PM »
Sadly this cheese developed mould that no amount of brine washing seemed to alleviate.  I discovered that the underside of the bamboo mat was covered in mould, (it was a new mat) from the whey, so I put it onto a new clean surface, but it wouldn't go away.  As this cheese was to be waxed, I didn't want to do that considering the amount of mould spots, so have put this in the fridge and we are eating it, sans the exterior surface.
The cheese is very young with very little flavour at this point, so I will definately have to do this one again, as it was looking promising.

Another reason to get those drying mats Cheese Head.  At least I should be able to keep them sanitized and clean.

kimnkell

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 01:49:04 AM »
Hi, I just found this website and I have made my first batch of soft simple cheese this evening. I hope it turns out okay. I would love to try the colby cheese. Thanks for sharing the step by step process. How many pounds does this recipe make?

Kim

Tea

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 08:21:40 PM »
Hi Kim and welcome to the forum.  Hope your soft cheese is a success.
A 10ltr batch yielded around 1.5kg, or approx 3lb.
HTH