Author Topic: Hello from Tucson, Az  (Read 3798 times)

seanas3

Hello from Tucson, Az
« on: April 03, 2009, 01:31:55 AM »
HI, I am new to cheese making and got the idea for way back in High School, when I realized that cheese didn't just appear on grocery store shelve but actually had to be made. So this is what i have created so far. I have tried mozzarella three times I finally got one to work out. But it was slightly hard and dry. I have made a wheel of pepper jack and a wheel of cheddar. I am trying Cream cheese, but I had to use Calcium Chloride and rennet to get it to set. But we'll see how it solidifies. I have alot of questions but I can't seem to find anyone local that homemakes cheese.
1. Way does Whey have to be used within 3 hours
2. Can you vacuum seal seal the cheese instead of waxing
3. How long can you keep cheese on the counter?  It seems strange that I just let it sit out for a period of time before it gets stored. I guess this makes sense because they didn't have refrigerators 200 years ago.
4. Finally I would like to try and make haloumi, when it is curing in the brine solution doe sit matter what temperature it is stored at.
I look forward to more cheese making and I will post my efforts ads I make more cheese. I am going to try mozzarella again this weekend.

wharris

Re: Hello from Tucson, Az
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 02:17:16 AM »
Welcome to the forum seanas3.

It is funny, i have obliviots i call friends who really think food just kinda appears,  perhaps as the store itself.  So I know what you mean.
In terms of your questions:
1. I throw my whey out, so i cannot comment.
2. There is a lot of discussion about that in this forum. I would encourage a search.  I have used vacuum seals and while it seals the cheese, it prevents a rind from forming and pulls whey out of the cells and wrinkles my cheese. I do not use it anymore.  YMMV
3. While they did not have refridgerators 200 years ago, they did have caves. And those caves provided both the humidity and the temperature controls needed.  You can put a wheel of cheese out on the counter until it dries out or spoils.  I think that will depend on the type of cheese and the type of rind.
4. I have not heard of that kind of cheese.  I will say that I brine my parmesan at room temp. 

I am not the expert, i am just adding my thoughts and letting you know how i do things. Cheesemaking for me is the ultimate "continuing education" course in my life.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 02:29:18 AM »
Hello seanas3 and welcome to the forum!

I think most of us are here as we can't find others locally who know how to make cheese, so you've found a good place ;D.

Can't add to what Wayne has written, sorry. Some members have posted good results with vacuum bags, others not. I've eaten lots of Halloumi as great cooking cheese but have not made it, hoping fellow member Tea can advise as she makes Halloumi.

Looking forward to your input and seeing some of your results!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 02:50:15 AM »
Ricki Carrols book - Home Cheese Making has a recipe for Haloumi in it. I have not made it so I can't say anything else about it.

Here are a few more recipe links:

http://www.grouprecipes.com/47970/say-cheese-or-better-halloumi.html

http://www.buildanark.net/homesteading/halloumi.html

Good luck and let us know how it works for you!

thegregger

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 03:00:38 AM »
Hello and welcome.

1:  I don't know what changes are taking place with fresh whey.  I use mine in my garden and bread-making.
2:  You can vacuum-seal cheeses.  Others in this forum are doing so with cheddars.
3:  I've had a Swiss ripening in my kitchen for 3 weeks, already.  I turn and wipe it often to control surface mold.
4:  I always brine at 50-55 degrees.  Temp is really important; it affects salt uptake.  Also, make sure your brine pH matches your cheese pH.

Best of luck!

Greg

Wannie

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 12:46:36 PM »
Hello seanas3 and also a big welcome to the forum.

I too am beginning cheese-maker so cannot answer your questions but I can guarantee you will get some good answers here.

Cheese-making is both rewarding and challenging.

Please post your experiences.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 01:54:45 PM »
I was wondering where the idea of whey being good for only 3 hours came from. What are you using it for with such short life cycles? I recycle most of my whey for riccotta and it has to sit over night before doing this.

I also use it for making breads, pastas, pickling, soups and stuff and it will sit in mason jars for up to a week before use.

Tea

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 08:31:22 PM »
Good morning Seanas3 and welcome to the forum.  I think everyone else has pretty much answered most question, but as to the halloumi, like fetta, once it comes to the brine part, it gets stored in the fridge.
There is a recipe on here that I use all the time.  HTH

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 12:57:01 AM »
Whey has to be used because the remainder milkfat has already started reacting to the remainder rennet. So I think if you wait too long you won't be able to get it together in a mass.

MrsKK

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 01:12:13 PM »
Welcome!  As others have said, we gather here because cheesemakers aren't a very big part of the population.  Thank goodness for the Internet!  Otherwise, I'm not sure I'd be milking a cow or making my own cheese.

I've made ricotta right away after draining the whey from the curds, and I've waited overnight (due to time constraints).  If I remember correctly, the fresher whey produced more ricotta, but I can't be positive on that. 

Can't answer your other questions, though.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 04:20:59 AM »
I have gotten up to 12 ounces of riccotta from the remaining whey from 1 gallon of store bought milk by waiting until the next day. I also find the flavor much better than making it with a fresh batch of milk.

Michelle

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 01:29:34 AM »
Hi,
I think the three hour rule regarding using whey probably comes from a hygiene point of view.  If your brine is unsalted and if it is at a neutral pH (no starter has been used as per halloumi) and especially if it came from raw milk it is the perfect host for the growth of bacteria.

So, if it's sitting around at room temperature for a length of time you have possiblity of growing some of the undesirable bacteria that could be resposible for spoilage or for food poisoning.

Cheers,
Michelle

justsocat

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 01:56:03 AM »
Hello!
I use the whey for cookin and for making soft cheeses after it was stored in the fridge for three and even four days long. But in my case the difference is I don't use rennet.

FarmerJd

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 02:05:20 AM »
Nothing to add except another welcome. I am still wondering how my vacuum sealed cheeses are going to age. Just started that this week.

zenith1

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 01:36:20 PM »
Welcome to the forum Seanas3. You have one of the world's largest cheese caves down the road from you at Kartchner's don't you? I wonder if they will let you rent some space?  ;D