Author Topic: NorCal Swiss update  (Read 2050 times)

thegregger

NorCal Swiss update
« on: April 03, 2009, 02:04:19 AM »
Guys:

Thanks for all your postings on Swiss cheese.  They have been really helpful.  Attached are photos of the two that I am aging right now.

Cheese number 1 is just under 4 pounds, and has been ripening in my kitchen for about three weeks.  Max cook temperature was 114 degrees, and I pressed it at a peak weight of 30 pounds, and brined it for about 20 hours.  Next week I'll put it in the cheese 'fridge for a minimum of three months.  As you can see, the swelling has been modest at best, so I'm a bit nervous that I overshot my pH, but only time will tell.

Cheese number 2 is just under two pounds, and has the potential to be my best.  It was my first cheese that I made with a quality pH meter, and I drained the curds right at a pH of 6.35.  I cooked these curds to a top temperature of 120 degrees.  Due to it's small size, I pressed it at a max weight of about 35 pounds, and brined it for 9ish hours, using my standard brine recipe of 1 hour per pound per inch of height.

I wipe and turn the cheeses every other day, and recently used the cream wax on the 4 pounder to inhibit mold growth.

Greg

wharris

Re: NorCal Swiss update
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 02:09:39 AM »
They look nice.  I have yet to attempt swiss.  I understand this is a difficult cheese to get the eyes right.
They look great, keep is posted.  Good pics.

linuxboy

Re: NorCal Swiss update
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 02:13:51 AM »
Those look fantastic! Let us know how they turn out :)