Author Topic: Using a 26 gallon beer brewing kettle to make cheese.  (Read 18252 times)

Sweet Leaves Farm

Re: Using a 26 gallon beer brewing kettle to make cheese.
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 01:37:15 PM »
Yeah, I'd like to keep the window closed in the unheated , but insulated garage. Last winter our morning lows went down to -17. The goats and I were not amused.
There is a 3,400 watt induction burner, but even that might not be enough for 20+ gallons. Does anyone have a propane burner that is OK for indoor use that puts out maybe 150,000 BTUs? There's this one: http://www.homebrewing.org/18-Propane-Burner--220000-BTU-_p_3214.html
I realize I would have to have a stand made to hold 200+ pounds of milk, and with this burner I would have to have forced fan ventilation, opening a window would not be enough.
Right now, I use the small burner on my electric coil stove and I get plenty hot quick, even when pasteurizing, but that is only 4 gallons...
About the 240 volt outlet, my electric panel is in the garage, I would just cut the power, put a double GFCI circuit breaker in the panel, wire it up and away I go.

John@PC

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 01:48:36 PM »
Jennifer, while I don't do batches that large I did consider testing some silicone band drum heaters but for that size vat you would be limited to about 1200W per heater.  You could go to a steel band heater like this and get up to 1,900W - not much more than your induction heater but maybe more efficient?  What is your maximum temperature and rise rate for cooking your curds, assuming you're using 26 gal. of milk?

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • It aint easy being cheesy
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 03:00:08 PM »
I need to make cheese in a little bigger fashion, but I don't have enough milk to buy the big equipment. My question is, would it be safe to use a stainless steel brewing kettle to make cheese in, or is there some reason it won't work? Also, what kind of burner would I use for a nearly 20" wide pot? Here is the kettle I was thinking of getting: http://morebeer.com/products/26-gallon-stainless-brew-kettle-heavy-duty.html 
and here's the burner: http://morebeer.com/products/camp-chef-burner-60000-btu.html

Has anyone tried this? I would appreciate any comments!

I wouldn't use a burner under a tank with milk.  Seems to me you will scorch the milk unless it's a double boiler tank.

I'd consider a large belt heater or a drum heater.

http://www.wattco.com/files/product/catelogpdf/Band_Heaters_1164720301.pdf

http://www.thecarycompany.com/containers/drums/drumheater.html#drumheater
- Andrew

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 03:06:34 PM »
I need to make cheese in a little bigger fashion, but I don't have enough milk to buy the big equipment. My question is, would it be safe to use a stainless steel brewing kettle to make cheese in, or is there some reason it won't work? Also, what kind of burner would I use for a nearly 20" wide pot? Here is the kettle I was thinking of getting: http://morebeer.com/products/26-gallon-stainless-brew-kettle-heavy-duty.html 
and here's the burner: http://morebeer.com/products/camp-chef-burner-60000-btu.html

Has anyone tried this? I would appreciate any comments!

I wouldn't use a burner under a tank with milk.  Seems to me you will scorch the milk unless it's a double boiler tank.

I'd consider a large belt heater or a drum heater.

http://www.wattco.com/files/product/catelogpdf/Band_Heaters_1164720301.pdf

http://www.thecarycompany.com/containers/drums/drumheater.html#drumheater

Andrew I make cheese in 21 gallon batches with a 72K BTU Brinkmann, and a tri-ply bottomed s/s stockpot.  No issues with scorching.  I'd surmise, partially because our temps are fairly low and gradual, and our medium much more liquid (compared to mash tun), compared to brewing.  Used to do many different types of brewing in a converted 1/2 bbl, 2-tiered system with 525K BTUs.  Water infusion was fine, but German style decoction was a nightmare, unless I was extremely careful.
- Paul

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 03:16:27 PM »
Andrew I make cheese in 21 gallon batches with a 72K BTU Brinkmann, and a tri-ply bottomed s/s stockpot.  No issues with scorching.  I'd surmise, partially because our temps are fairly low and gradual, and our medium much more liquid (compared to mash tun), compared to brewing.  Used to do many different types of brewing in a converted 1/2 bbl, 2-tiered system with 525K BTUs.  Water infusion was fine, but German style decoction was a nightmare, unless I was extremely careful.

Amazing.  I built a hot liquor tank and boiler with 5500W elements in 1/2 barrel kegs (all electric, no burner).  I don't think I could make cheese in there... ?  Probably the element would get in the way... and I'd say scorching would be an issue.  Thoughts?

- Andrew

Sweet Leaves Farm

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 03:34:46 PM »
The highest temperature gradient I need to achieve is 1 degree per minute, unless I'm pasteurizing, and that just goes as fast as I can, while stirring, from 38 degrees F to 140 degrees F. For 4 gallons in an enameled steel canner (very thin bottom), on my coil electric stove, I turn it on medium and stir, and it takes about 15 minutes to achieve 140, with no scorching.

I wouldn't want to use any heater that was submerged (how would you stir the  milk and sanitize the coil?) or not designed for food prep (could have a problem with off gassing).

I did see a stock pot single burner stove that looked interesting, but I would definitely need a vent hood for safe operation. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/cooking-performance-group-cpg-sp-18-2-stock-pot-range-70-000-btu/351CPGSP182%20NAT%2ALP.html

Still trying to find out how much weight it was designed for....

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 03:36:48 PM »
Hey Andrew - great looking setup.  Yep, agreed, I think the elements would provide too much local heating and you'd have some scorched milk.  Also agree it would be difficult to cut the curd.  Nice brewing gig, though!
- Paul

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2014, 03:38:42 PM »
The highest temperature gradient I need to achieve is 1 degree per minute, unless I'm pasteurizing, and that just goes as fast as I can, while stirring, from 38 degrees F to 140 degrees F. For 4 gallons in an enameled steel canner (very thin bottom), on my coil electric stove, I turn it on medium and stir, and it takes about 15 minutes to achieve 140, with no scorching.

I wouldn't want to use any heater that was submerged (how would you stir the  milk and sanitize the coil?) or not designed for food prep (could have a problem with off gassing).

I did see a stock pot single burner stove that looked interesting, but I would definitely need a vent hood for safe operation. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/cooking-performance-group-cpg-sp-18-2-stock-pot-range-70-000-btu/351CPGSP182%20NAT%2ALP.html

Still trying to find out how much weight it was designed for....

Hey Jennifer -

For what it's worth, I've always found the store responsive to my queries.  I actually bought my stockpot(s) from them, and they've always been great in dealing with any issues.
- Paul

Sweet Leaves Farm

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2014, 03:54:20 PM »
I emailed them before Thanksgiving, still waiting on a reply. I'll try again tomorrow, if I don't hear anything.

Sweet Leaves Farm

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2014, 03:59:26 PM »
By the way, John@PC I just wanted to say my mom bought a pH meter from you and gave it to me for my birthday, and I have a much better control over the finished cheese (cheddar in this case). Thanks!

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 04:16:46 PM »
I emailed them before Thanksgiving, still waiting on a reply. I'll try again tomorrow, if I don't hear anything.

Hey Jennifer,

Can't remember if I e-mailed or chatted with them; also called once, very friendly and helpful.  At any rate, I just did a chat on the burner and asked for the maximum weight it can safely bear.  The cust. serv. person assured me (twice - I pressed on the weight issue) that it isn't about the weight as much as the size of the pot.  She stated the burner is extremely durable and weight is basically a non-issue; sizing is.

I know that's not as definitive as either of us would like, but hope it's helpful.

Edit:  BTW, my Brinkmann is more than stout enough to handle my 100 qt pot, 21 gallons.  It's less than 1/2 the cost of the stock pot range.  Can I ask, why you're not looking more into the brewing setups?
- Paul

Sweet Leaves Farm

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2014, 04:34:45 PM »
Everyone of the brewing setups are made to work outside, and don't have a ventilation recommendation. If I wanted to use it inside, my dad, (a retired HVAC guy) would have a fit. I would start receiving CO detectors in the mail, then he would just show up one day with exhaust hoods big enough to empty my house of all air in 5 minutes!

At least with the stockpot stove they have a recommended ventilation requirement, and clearances to combustibles. I could prove that I'm not trying to burn down the house;)

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2014, 05:01:57 PM »
Paul, I think you mean Blichmann.  http://www.blichmannengineering.com/

Jennifer, you might consider an electrical forum of heating.  There are no noxious vapors to deal with, and with some simple process instruments you can accurately control the temperatures.  E.g., I use my brewing system to cook with (sous vide).  And, you won't run out of electricity the way one might find themselves with an empty tank of propane. 
- Andrew

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2014, 05:28:21 PM »
Everyone of the brewing setups are made to work outside, and don't have a ventilation recommendation. If I wanted to use it inside, my dad, (a retired HVAC guy) would have a fit. I would start receiving CO detectors in the mail, then he would just show up one day with exhaust hoods big enough to empty my house of all air in 5 minutes!

At least with the stockpot stove they have a recommended ventilation requirement, and clearances to combustibles. I could prove that I'm not trying to burn down the house;)

Good papa!  :)

Yeah, it is a drag.  Good thought on the known parameters with the range, hadn't thought of that.  Man, if your dad would do the venting, that would be awesome.  Doing it in this weather, or even in the garage in spring/summer weather and then transporting the curds down into our basement where I press and age, isn't optimal.  Stuck, for now, unless I can come up with a good electrical solution.
- Paul

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2014, 05:30:06 PM »
Paul, I think you mean Blichmann.  http://www.blichmannengineering.com/

Jennifer, you might consider an electrical forum of heating.  There are no noxious vapors to deal with, and with some simple process instruments you can accurately control the temperatures.  E.g., I use my brewing system to cook with (sous vide).  And, you won't run out of electricity the way one might find themselves with an empty tank of propane.

Whoops, missed your post Andrew when I posted the above.  Blichmann, yep, sorry.

Do you know of any electrical solution that would adequately handle a 100 qt vat (preferably without having to rig 240V)?
- Paul