Author Topic: Double cream brie #2  (Read 3188 times)

shaneb

Double cream brie #2
« on: December 03, 2014, 10:05:19 PM »
Hi Guys,

I'm just starting out with cheese making. Here is my last attempt at a double cream brie. The recipe is from the Mad Millie Specialty Cheese kit recipe book. I don't have a proper brie mould yet, and I think I took out out of my mould to early (rounded edges?). Next time around I'll leave it in the mould overnight. The brie was ripened in a plastic box @ 12°C for around two weeks. I then wrapped it and moved it to the normal fridge for another two weeks. I ended up giving the cheese to a colleague who loved it. Here are some photos.

For brie, what is the preference, an open bottom hoop or a mould with a base?

Thanks for your help.

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: Double cream brie #2
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 03:47:18 AM »
Gee thats nice!  I might have left it a little longer but, If you like what you taste then who am I to say otherwise.  I havn't made a Brie so I can't comment but, the one shown here looks the goods to me.

AC4U !   8)

-- Mal

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

shaneb

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 04:19:20 AM »
Thanks Mal. By the time it made it to the colleague it was starting to ooze all through. Didn't get a photo of that though unfortunately.

Shane

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 10:33:26 AM »
Like Mal, I can't comment from experience, having not made a Brie. I can say the that is a beauty though and offer you another cheese for your effort.
As to open or closed bottom, I would think that it all depends on whether or not you can flip it. You seem to have done so successfully here so that may be a good guide.
- Andrew

shaneb

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 03:25:54 AM »
Thanks Andrew. I did have problems flipping them. In the end I did press them lightly for a while before the first flip. They are very difficult to handle otherwise. I think open hoops may be a little easier to handle, so may look at getting both a mould and a hoop to compare.

Shane

John@PC

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 11:42:12 PM »
Hi Shane.   When I saw your control set-up I instantly gave you a cheese before even looking at your brie!  As for the mold I think you will be happier with a cylindrical open-bottom mold.  Reason is you can simply put a mesh screen on top and bottom to flip, but with a closed bottom you have to physically do a flip with your hands which can be a problem for the first flip or so.  Just my experience though.  I think the "softies / bloomies" are under-appreciated to an extent by home cheese-makers and they shouldn't be.  They are a delight, simple to make and can be enjoyed at an early age. 

shaneb

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 01:18:04 AM »
Thanks John. Yes, I can see the advantage of the open hoop. I'll buy a couple of them then. My 3rd brie is coming along nicely at the moment. It has a very nice covering of mould. I think our summer weather is helping with the brie makes. I'm finding by the time they are ready to move to the cave they already have nice patches of mould on them.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with my control setup at the moment. I have two Fuji PXZ4 controllers each with a PT100 RTD. One controller is purely for measuring milk/curd temperature. It has no control output function at this stage. The other controller is used to control my water bath and electric hot plate. It uses a SSR for that.

In my cave I also have an RTD driven temperature controller which has a relay output that is wired into the control line of the compressor (not directly driving the AC power to the compressor). I have a humidity controller also, but I'm still working on that. It presently controls an ultrasonic fogger, but it can't produce enough fog for the size of fridge. I have another two on the way, so hopefully that will be sufficient.

So far I'm finding brie quite rewarding. You get to see daily changes in the outside of the cheese and once wrapped you get the daily excitement of feeling whether the cheese is starting to ripen.  :)

I'll make a couple of camembert sized bries this week to see how they work.

Shane

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 01:12:39 AM »
Shane, I've been experimenting with making Brie and other soft cheeses in a jar with no heating or timing or added cultures other than the PC and Geo for rind.  I think I posted about it in the lounge under the title of "Lackadaisical Cheese" or something like that.  I mean, you have a very cool set up and all but if you wanted to try it another way this is very easy.....   raw, never chilled, milk in a jar on the counter at room temp for a day or so, add Geo and PC, add rennet, let sit another day, cut and drain in molds or pre-drain in a cloth bag and then pack into mold.  Follow regular Brie recipe for taking out of mold, airing and aging.  It's simple and works well. 

shaneb

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 03:46:07 AM »
Thanks Tiarella. I have been reading your Lackadaisical cheese thread with great interest. I love your goats (and sheep) too btw.  :) I would love to give it a go, but don't have easy access to raw milk (and based on present need articles there is a push for a total ban on the sale of unpasteurized milk where I live  :(). I'm guessing it would only work under those conditions?

Shane
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 03:53:00 AM by Shane »

John@PC

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 10:21:41 PM »
Shane, I've been experimenting with making Brie and other soft cheeses in a jar with no heating or timing or added cultures other than the PC and Geo for rind.  I think I posted about it in the lounge under the title of "Lackadaisical Cheese" or something like that.  I mean, you have a very cool set up and all but if you wanted to try it another way this is very easy.....   raw, never chilled, milk in a jar on the counter at room temp for a day or so, add Geo and PC, add rennet, let sit another day, cut and drain in molds or pre-drain in a cloth bag and then pack into mold.  Follow regular Brie recipe for taking out of mold, airing and aging.  It's simple and works well. 

Hi Kathrine (missed you ;)).  In leu of raw milk would creamline milk done as you say give similar results?