Author Topic: Red cheese wax meets dishwasher  (Read 2724 times)

shaneb

Red cheese wax meets dishwasher
« on: December 05, 2014, 08:16:43 AM »
Hi all,

Today I used cheese wax for my first time. I made a hell of a mess after accidentally doing the cheese in the bowl of melted wax. I managed to clean that up, although it wasn't easy. Unfortunately after that cleanup, I then put the equipment with minimal wax residue into the dishwasher. Everything came out red with waxy residue. The dishwasher was on a 70°C pot cycle. I then attempted a dishwasher clean with an 80°C cycle and dishwasher cleaner. Things look much better, but white plastic items are still reddish. I've done another subsequent clean and a slight improvement.

So out of today I have learnt that cheese wax and dishwashers don't play nice together. Hopefully this post may prevent someone else making the same mistake.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what my might work better at getting rid of wax residue?

Shane

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Re: Red cheese wax meets dishwasher
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 10:37:16 AM »
The typical dishwasher cleaners are alkaline salts which are generally useless against waxes. I would try a SMALL amount of dishwashing liquid (soap) to help emulsify the wax with the water.
I wouldn't add more than 1/2 to 1 tsp though.  ::)  Interesting results happen with higher amounts....

When I have greasy/fatty items I do this with great results so, hopefully, it will work with the wax.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

shaneb

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 07:20:26 PM »
Thanks for the tip! I did actually try a load with dishwashing liquid, but we only have this eco friendly dishwashing liquid. I'll buy some proper stuff today and see if it's any better. At the moment it is only plastic objects from the original load (plus dishwasher cutlery basket) which are still stained. It is improving.

Yeah, I opened the dishwasher mid cycle and there were quite done bubbles in there.  :D

Shane

GoudaGirl13

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 12:54:11 AM »
Oh dear! my sincere sympathies!

shaneb

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 01:24:13 AM »
Thanks. I can report that nearly 3 months later there is still a tinge of red wax on all plastic dishwasher components.

Shane

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 05:06:59 AM »
That's crazy... ;-)

TimT

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 02:06:58 AM »
Red wax! I got some black cheesewax on one of my cheeseboards once and it's never been the same since!

shaneb

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 09:33:20 AM »
Bugger! It is nasty stuff. I still get reminded daily of my stupid mistake. Maybe it's time to sand back your cheese board.

Shane