Author Topic: Hello from Out West! (Colorado)  (Read 2528 times)

the_stain

Hello from Out West! (Colorado)
« on: April 03, 2009, 04:25:43 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to say hello and introduce myself.  I am a beginning cheesemaker - so far I have only made one batch of 30-minute mozzarella but I look forward to experimenting with some more recipes.  I will be building a press this weekend and I have some good vegetable rennet and Meso-A culture on order from Leener's, so wish me luck! :)

Zinger

Re: Hello from Out West! (Colorado)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 06:20:44 PM »
Howdy stain,

I'll wish you luck because there is a certain amount of luck involved in this hobby, but there's also a lot of skill that you will gain from experience as well as the good advice and help that you'll find on this forum.

Welcome!

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 08:48:50 PM »
Welcome to CFO!  I'm one of the more casual cheesemakers here.  A lot of the guys have pretty scientific setups, but I'm more of a fly by the seat type of cheesemaker.  I've only had one or two batches go totally wrong, but the chickens and the pigs are always delighted when that happens.

There's lots to learn out here and lots of encouragement/advice on tap.  Enjoy!

the_stain

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 09:20:15 PM »
Casual cheesemaking, that sounds right up my alley!   I'm a former homebrewer (haven't brewed in a few years now), and when I was brewing I started out very "scientific."  I spent a ton of money on equipment and gadgets, measured everything with the utmost precision and took meticulous records and so on and so forth, but as time went on a lot of that fell by the wayside and I started viewing it as more of an art than a science.  :D  I think with cheesemaking I feel like a middle ground approach is good; I want to be scientific enough to have good results, but I'm not interested in letting it take over my life and bank account the way brewing beer once did!

Rich

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 12:09:11 AM »
I'm relatively new as well - just approaching my first anniversary.  Two things I would mention:  take good notes and have fun.  Even the mistakes taste pretty good, and will sometimes lead you in very profitable directions.  Don't be afraid to "customize" your cheeses.  Experimentation keeps cheese making fresh and exciting.

thebelgianpanda

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 03:36:04 AM »
Experimentation is what lead me here.  While making a good cheese is easier than baking a good loaf of bread, the lag time from making to tasting is infuriating :)

The knowledgeable folks here (which I'm not one of) will definitely steer you in the right direction.

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 11:37:29 AM »
Howdy stain, I believe you are our first from US State of Colorado, so I've just added a Geographic > USA > Colorado Board in case you or anyone wants to post some local type info.

Me, I am too haphazard in my cheese making thus doesn't always turn out well!

Tea

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 08:33:32 PM »
Good morning Stain and welcome to the forum.

the_stain

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 08:50:16 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome!   ;D

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 12:52:32 AM »
Welcome. Mozz is a good starter because it's instant gratification.

wharris

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 12:26:54 PM »
I have never made mozz, but I do make cheddar/parm/Gouda. 
I always make more than i need and sacrifice some along the way to check progress.  I have no qualms about cutting into a 5lb wheel at only 2 months to check progress.

But overall,  you are right, the lag time is tough.  Cheesemaking, like winemaking, is an excercise in delayed gratification.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 04:25:28 AM »
Welcome aboard Stain! Sorry I must have missed this thread eariler.