Author Topic: Raw milk / Bath Milk  (Read 14824 times)

shaneb

Re: Raw milk / Bath Milk
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2015, 02:44:33 AM »
Sounds brilliant. I struggle to even get unhomogenised milk.

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2015, 06:35:44 AM »
For whatever 'Real' reason the Australian Government has, it has managed to raise the notoriety of milk to that of illicit Class A narcotics in both legally and availability.   And, I'm sorry but don't give me the long transport times as a reason as interstate trucking companies carry fresh seafood to the inner reaches of this country.  And refridgeration is better than the 1940's  - heck I'm sure that even milk testing is better than the 'lick it and see' mentality the government seems to think the dairy producers use. I know several in my area and your kitchens are dirtier than their dairies !! no offence intended just a comaritive statement -  I just see it as an amazing campaign of public misinformation.     

Angry still  >:(

-- Mal 
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

shaneb

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2015, 06:39:08 AM »
Agreed. How about chicken as another comparison? It can be extremely toxic if not cooked correctly. Isn't making cheese from raw milk the same? You just need to 'cook' the cheese for the right amount of time to make it perfectly safe. Chicken is freely available for purchase.

Shane

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2015, 05:00:30 PM »
Agreed. How about chicken as another comparison? It can be extremely toxic if not cooked correctly. Isn't making cheese from raw milk the same? You just need to 'cook' the cheese for the right amount of time to make it perfectly safe. Chicken is freely available for purchase.

Shane

In fact, chicken is freely available ... raw! But I suppose the difference is that milk is generally considered ready-to-consume with no further processing, while very few if any would consider consuming chicken without first cooking ...
-- Andy

TimT

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2015, 02:11:44 AM »
The proposed new laws in Victoria haven't, to my knowledge, yet been passed or come into force; I know of a couple of stores where you should still be able to get raw milk! :p Still think these laws are stupid and paranoid, still want them changed.

And yes, I think it's legal to get raw goat milk in Victoria; my dream is to find a good local supplier and become friends with them....

shaneb

« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2015, 02:19:50 AM »
Everything I've read indicates that the law has already been passed. It's interesting that it's still available. Maybe it has the gag inducing additive? I like your plans. :-)

Shane

TimT

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2015, 11:33:59 PM »
Well I haven't gagged on drinkin' it....

shaneb

« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2015, 11:55:59 PM »
That's good to hear.  :D

Shane

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2015, 10:58:24 PM »
It seems more makers are using raw milk for specialty cheese.

Raw cheesemaking sector expected to grow after food safety rule change lifts ban on some cheeses
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-11/australian-raw-cheese-food-safety-rule-change/6383784
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

shaneb

« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2015, 07:56:37 AM »
That is excellent news. Hopefully the number of makers increase. It's interesting to see that they are moulding the blue cheese in PVC pressure pipe.

Shane

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2015, 11:04:18 PM »
I have set my PVR to record it. It's on at noon today.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2015, 04:10:06 PM »

In fact, chicken is freely available ... raw! But I suppose the difference is that milk is generally considered ready-to-consume with no further processing, while very few if any would consider consuming chicken without first cooking ...

They do, however, sell raw chicken eggs which are used, uncooked, in mayonnaise, aiolas, remoulade, and a host of other items.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos