Author Topic: OMG - what have I done ??  (Read 19348 times)

Guiseppe

Re: OMG - what have I done ??
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2015, 04:30:59 PM »
Hi Ozzie

I'm pretty new to this game but I do have some thoughts on measuring tiny amounts of Penicillium Roqueforti (or any other culture for that matter).
The first Stilton I attempted went entirely blue within about 3 days, as did the next.  My problem was that I followed the recipe which stated I should add 1/8 teaspoon of the culture. 
Having had the same problem twice I figured something was wrong so I had another look at the packaging and realised I had about 1 teaspoon left but the entire batch was enough to treat 500 litres.  I had overdosed by a factor of about 6.  I realised that there was no way I was ever going to be able to accurately measure the correct amount for a 6 litre batch
My solution, and no doubt the purists out there will shoot me down in flames, was to dilute the culture with powdered baby milk formula.  (I only used the baby milk because I could not source normal dried milk). 
I measured the amount of culture I had left and added several teaspoons of the dried milk and mixed it well.  I can't remember the exact quantities now but basically I worked it so that when my recipe calls for 1/8 teaspoon that is what I add.  Because it is diluted what I am actually adding is something like 1/50 teaspoon of Penicillium Roqueforti and about 1/8 teaspoon of powdered milk.
I figured, rightly or wrongly that adding that tiny amount of dried milk would not really make any difference particularly as it goes in right at the start and 1/8 teaspoon dried milk diluted in 6 litres of fresh milk was virtually insignificant.
All I can tell you is that my next effort, using the diluted mix worked out fine.

Guiseppe

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2015, 08:03:47 PM »
Don't know if it will help Mal but you can comepare the outwards appearance to the one I did here.  They gor through some scary stages.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2015, 12:34:10 AM »
@ Guiseppe.  I'm not sure what the effect would be but I do know that other culture suppliers pack their cultures with filler to make it easier to measure.  The packet of PR I use is so concentrated that the entire foil pack had no more than 1/2 teaspoon in it and was sufficient for 250 litres of milk.  I used the barest tip of a steak knife for this make. 
@ Al. Without a cheese trier I don't know what is happening inside my cheese.  How long did yours take ?  I was hoping to have a nice brown crust by now but it's still blue and white fluffy - is this ok or do I need to move it to a cooler enviromnet ?

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2015, 09:35:31 PM »
I kept mine in the cheese cave at 54 F except for 1 hour a day when I left it out in the room at 70 F.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 05:28:41 PM by Al Lewis »

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2015, 01:47:12 AM »
Ok... I now have another issue.  After I pierced it I turned it and I looked at it last night - so two days - and it had started to slump and the ends of the are softer than the sides (mostly)   Is it time to place it in the 4 Deg C Fridge to firm it up?  These are uncharted waters for me.  And if the cheese is softening already have I done something wrong or something I can correct ?  The mini blue is not as soft but I think it is going to turn into a hockey puck before it is ready to eat..

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2015, 05:35:54 PM »
Never came across that issue Mal.  I had mine in the cave for a while before I pierced it.  It has pretty much settled into its final state, exterior wise, before I pierced it and was fairly solid.

LoftyNotions

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2015, 05:30:22 AM »
I had a similar issue with one of my first Gorgonzola Picantes. It was the first cheese I made with commercial (Dairygold) P/H Milk, and never did form a good curd. Anyway, it developed cracks and a serious lean so I did transfer it, box and all to my 40°F frig. I stopped turning it at that point, and opened the lid a little so it could dry out a bit. I ended up cutting it at 42 days. It had great veining in the interior and tasted really good. I vacuum bagged the rest of it in pieces. It still aged and got "spicier" as time went on. Just the blue stopped developing.

I know that's a different style blue, but hope it helps. Can you post a picture?

Larry

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2015, 12:57:48 AM »
So at 37 days ... Here are the pictures of slumpy...  The sides are still firm and the there is still condensation in the ripening box so something is still going on in there.  But there is no rustic brown crusty rind as yet.  This was one of my goals for this cheese.. Will it make it ?

Maybe I'm a little impatient

-- Mal

Stinky

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2015, 01:12:30 AM »
Oo, gnarnar.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2015, 07:16:04 AM »
It looks scary - and good! :-)

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2015, 02:46:03 PM »
Let her run Mal that looks great :P
She ain't done yet, you may not get the browning your looking for, I am sure
You will be amazed with what does show up for the party.
As for the slumpyness, every one of mine have looked like this, so not to worry it's coming along nicely ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

LoftyNotions

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2015, 04:21:51 PM »
Here's a pic. of the cheese I mentioned above.

There's probably some nice brown crust under all that moldy stuff on yours.  ;) Maybe a little less humidity and a little brush action???

Larry

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2015, 04:26:25 PM »
So at 37 days ... Here are the pictures of slumpy...

Looks good to me. Just because it has settled a bit does not mean that you have hit a slump in your cheesemaking. :)
-- Andy

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2015, 04:43:32 PM »
So at 37 days ... Here are the pictures of slumpy...

Looks good to me. Just because it has settled a bit does not mean that you have hit a slump in your cheesemaking. :)

and don't you dare brush that wonderful mold off
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

LoftyNotions

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2015, 06:56:28 PM »

and don't you dare brush that wonderful mold off

I thought that might get a reaction.  >:D

Larry