Author Topic: brie has tiny holes, seems to be OK  (Read 2247 times)

pmb

brie has tiny holes, seems to be OK
« on: December 15, 2014, 04:37:57 AM »
I'm new to cheesemaking, and have made my first brie about 2 months ago. It's still ripening, but I wanted to try a wheel. (We actually tried one at Thanksgiving, but it was clearly not ripe - dry and crumbly.) Just tried another one, which had definitely softened a bit more. Cutting into it, it's still not ripe all the way through, but it's going in the right direction. My question is this, there are tiny holes throughout, in both the inner unripened part and the ripened areas. It doesn't seem to affect flavor, or texture, but I'm curious about why there are holes. Anyone have a suggestion as to what the process was that made them and how to avoid them in the future?

hoeklijn

Re: brie has tiny holes, seems to be OK
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 06:42:31 AM »
It looks like mechanical holes to me since they are irregular. Holes made by gass are round and smooth.
Wit a Brie this could be caused by curd that was too dry when you put it in the mold.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 06:22:52 AM »
I usually get some of these in mine. I've never worried about them - I don't think they are a problem.
- Andrew

DoctorEvil

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 08:09:49 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the holes. Actually I have never seen a Brie without any. I usually call it just a good cheese charm and let them be. No change for flavor and no change for the texture nontheless. Congratulations on your brie too. Looks - delicious!

Juan1Moore

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 05:14:49 PM »
Did you use a culture that produces diacetyl? They also produce some CO-2. Gotta have holes to get buttery taste?