Author Topic: First raw milk experience - wow!  (Read 10629 times)

qdog1955

Re: First raw milk experience - wow!
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 08:43:11 PM »
Danbo----I'm a little confused-----aren't you from Denmark----I'm wondering why Danish is such a "strange language"-----If this is a personal question, please ignore my intrusion. I couldn't understand a word that was said---but I think I got the jist of it.
Qdog

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 08:57:27 PM »
Qdog:
I was just kidding... ;-) I'm a Dane speaking Danish and living in Denmark, so for me it's not strange at all... I can imagine that Danish sounds rather strange to foreigners... :-)

qdog1955

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 11:47:58 AM »
Danbo-----you certainly have an excellent grasp on English----better than some Americans I know---maybe including my self. :)
Qdog

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 02:41:42 PM »
Qdog:

I think that my English is pretty average for a Dane - but thank you for the little white lie... ;-)

Here in Denmark it is mainly movies/TV for children that are syncronized in Danish. Usually foreign movies are just texted. In Germany and many other European countries the movies are syncronized. I remember once in Germany, Elvis was speaking fluently German and two minutes later sang in English with a totally different voice... ;-)

:-) Danbo

qdog1955

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 08:58:55 PM »
I think I would die laughing if I saw that Elvis movie :)
Qdog

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 03:02:43 AM »
3) Yet to be seen is what the outcome is in the cheese itself. The make went fairly well -- first time trying Montasio, so not entirely sure of what I was doing -- and it knit beautifully. Maybe in 3 months, based on the recommendation I've seen here for how long to age it, I will have a great report ...

And now it is 3 months later, and I cut this cheese open, and ... oh, wow, is it ever good. Really, really good. I wish now I'd made another montasio from P&H milk at the same time, so that I could compare side by side and see how much of the taste of this one is coming from the raw milk!
-- Andy

JeffHamm

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 07:04:55 AM »
Very nice looking cheese!  I don't see your make notes in this thread?  Did you post them?  Do share!  A cheese to you.

- Jeff

qdog1955

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 11:26:40 AM »
I've come to the conclusion that the raw milk definitely adds to the flavor profile of my cheese and I will probably start making only the raw milk and PH mix, to keep it affordable. That means making less cheese---but it is so much better quality and easier to make.
  Your beautiful cheese reinforces that opinion, and you deserve another for the splendid effort. There is a downside-----now your PH cheese will always seem lacking and you will have to drive to the next state for raw milk :(---oh the things we do for the "Perfect Cheese"
Qdog 

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 05:52:25 PM »
I get fresh raw milk in plastic gallon jugs, refrigerated, from a local farm for $7.00 a gallon but if you're looking at making a 10 pound cheese that can be prohibitive.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 10:37:44 PM »
Jeff, I pretty much followed Boofer's recipe here: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,12814.0.html -- which I believe he modelled on some of your makes -- so you get credit for this as well. :)

No goat milk in my make; just 2 gallons of raw milk (which I LT pasteurized, 140˚ for 30 minutes) plus almost 2 more gallons of store bought P&H. No PS in this one. Aged 3 months.

Al, I wish I could get raw milk at just $7.00 per gallon! The raw milk I used in this one was $10 per gallon -- it is trucked in from out of state and delivered to a co-op. (I got a friend who is in the co-op to get me a couple of gallons to try.)
-- Andy

Stinky

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2015, 11:43:40 PM »
Hmm... after mulling it over? Yes, I think maybe I should make a Montasio.

John@PC

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 10:43:28 PM »
A cheese for the Cheese Dr.  Was it necessary to pasteurize the raw milk or was that a precaution?  I'm lucky to have a good low-cost source of LTP milk nearby but also have a source for raw milk.  I may try a "blend" like you but with the raw unpasturized + LTP milk.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2015, 02:19:50 AM »
John, I did the LTP as a precaution -- I wasn't completely sure about how the milk had been handled on its long journey to me (trucked to the co-op about 30 miles from here, picked up by my friend and transported back, then transported here ...)

Yes, I've been eyeing that source of LTP with great envy!

BTW, did you get an email from me this weekend? If not, check your spam in case it went there.
-- Andy