Author Topic: Gah! I almost lit my wax on fire......................  (Read 1742 times)

Brian

Gah! I almost lit my wax on fire......................
« on: April 04, 2009, 02:45:35 AM »
OK
I get sidetracked sometime.  I had my wax on a pretty low setting with the brush it it (since it was all solid when I started)
And forgot about it.

Until my wife screamed at me that the wax was, "bubbling all over the place".  It was, and the brush was burning on the bottom of the pain.
Stink.  You have no idea.

So....................the Gouda I was going to wax has to wait until my new wax comes in the mail.  I rubbed it with olive oil and wrapped it in plastic so hopefully will wait.

Bummer.

Brian

wharris

Re: Gah! I almost lit my wax on fire......................
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 02:49:01 AM »
WOW, 

Talk about a close call. Jeez.

Now that all is ok,  can't the wax be saved?

Brian

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 03:02:12 AM »
No.  I threw it out.  (THAT, is a whole "nother" story)
It stunk like burned boar hair and didn't want to chance it stinking up the cheese.

What to do with molten stinky wax??????????????  Throw it in the dirt seemed like the most logical idea..
I don't think anything is EVER going to grow there again.  I can't believe how long it was bubbling the dirt.  Glad I didn't get any on me.

Note to self:  DO NOT drink beer while waxing cheese.  ;D

Brian

thebelgianpanda

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 03:13:21 AM »
Yeah, I learned the, "Don't drink beer while doing X" awhile ago.  I almost caught the house on fire with a smoker and brisket.  Luckily we saved the brisket :)

When I wax I always set the pan on the smallest burner at the lowest temp.  Waxing (for me at least) always is best when the wax has *just* melted, or even when it is cooling down.  It's not the prettiest thing, but it coats great.

Speaking of which, is there a cheaper supplier of wax than www.cheesemaking.com?  Wax isn't a lot per batch, but it is kinda expensive per order.

Brian

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 04:51:02 AM »
I always get mine from Leeners.com but don't know if it's the best deal.

Brian