Author Topic: Happy with purchases!  (Read 920 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Happy with purchases!
« on: December 18, 2014, 06:10:13 PM »
I found two things at Bed Bath and Beyond that work just right for me, and I wanted to share....
The coated wire corner shelf is the perfect size to create more room in the cave. And the scoop works really well in moving curd to the form!
Susan

Stinky

Re: Happy with purchases!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 08:18:38 PM »
Oo, nice!

Yes, the scoop looks very helpful.  :D

John@PC

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 11:39:21 PM »
Susan, the large perforated scoop is also available at some Walmarts (the ones I got were black).  As you say it is great for transferring curds (and ice, whatever :)). 

amiriliano

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 02:32:50 PM »
@ Susan - so what's the secret to keeping your rinds so clean and perfect? Those cheese look amazing. Is it daily brushing?

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 06:59:16 PM »
Not daily brushing, but periodic, when I start seeing blues. Mostly they just have geo. The humidity was running up to 98% before I got 2 canisters with silica that I weekly dry in the microwave. Some very interesting things were growing on the rinds then. It was rather yeasty smelling/stinky in there. I used salt and vinegar brushed on then. At present things are pretty stable and I am just using a dry brush. The humidity runs between 85% and 95%. I think the reason the gauge shows 80% is because the door had been being open. The best part is no more cracking rinds!
Susan