Author Topic: Flora Danica--crushed verses un-crushed  (Read 2242 times)

qdog1955

Flora Danica--crushed verses un-crushed
« on: December 19, 2014, 04:54:25 PM »
Since Hansen recommends crushing their Flora Danica (and apparently all their cultures) I decided to see how much difference there is in crushed and un-crushed.  They recommend 1/4 tsp. per gallon---decided a half tsp. would be a little more accurate. Allowing for human error of course.
 1/2 tsp. un-crushed Floria Danica weighs .47 grams
 1/2 tsp. crushed weighs ---------------------.80 grams ----.33 grams heavier-----quite a bit of difference-----does it matter to your cheese? Don't know----but I think it would, especially in larger makes.
 Must be some reason they tell you to crush the whole pack before using.
Qdog

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Re: Flora Danica--crushed verses un-crushed
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 07:26:48 PM »
I have very rarely crushed it, and I have never had a problem with the makes using it. I think it does not make so much difference, and I would generally rather have the pH go a little slower, rather than risk over-acidifying the cheese.
Susan

qdog1955

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 08:26:30 PM »
Susan, I agree----that makes sense. The only problem I have noticed, is the "pellets" seem slow to assimilate into the milk---and maybe crushing helps that.
Qdog

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 05:43:57 AM »
I see what you're saying, the crystals do seem to float for a while before becoming saturated, but measure first and crush afterwards...good cheese cannot be rushed!

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 04:24:34 AM »
Flora Danica is a blended culture.  They blend the different cultures after it is freeze dried so by not crushing it you are more likely to get a different ratio of constituents each time.  I notice that the end of the packet I get more gas producers.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 05:15:40 AM »
One thing I do with FD is to use a rolling pin before I unpack it and roll it into a more uniform size.  I also, re-hydrate in a 1/4 cup of the warmed milk for about 5 minutes before adding it to the main milk.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !