Author Topic: Using chlorine for desinfecting equipment  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Using chlorine for desinfecting equipment
« on: December 21, 2014, 08:29:32 AM »
Hi there,

I used to desinfect all my equipment (molds, utensils, vat etc.) by simply using boiling water.

I now use larger containers and it is allmost impossible to desinfect this using boiling water. Therefore I want to use chlorine for desinfecting all the equipment - but how much?

I know that chlorine is not that good for the environment but I will only use it in small doses.

I'm thinking about using 1 dl (half a cup) of chlorine to 8 litres (2 gallons) of tap water for all the cleaning and then just leaving the vat and equipment to air dry (without rinsing in clean water).

What is your thoughts?

:-) Danbo

Ps.: I really appreciate all the help in this forum - thanks! :-)

qdog1955

Re: Using chlorine for desinfecting equipment
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 12:03:41 PM »
Hey Danbo,
Thought I should make you aware (if your not already) and not being familiar with products in Denmark----but in the USA the standard chlorine bleach for at least 60 years was Clorox and was always used for disinfecting at the rate of 1/2 cup per gallon----but Clorox has changed their formula and the new stuff is not to be used as a disinfectant-----we have to find the original formula for that.
  Having said that and I'm sure you are aware of all the negative stuff associated with chlorine ( especially the smell) I would recommend Star San---Easy to use---inexpensive----can be sprayed or dipped---as long as surface stays wet for at least a minute and no bad odors.
  Have been using for over a year and no noticeable side effects. I don't use it on cheese cloth, I still boil that---and I don't think it's recommended for wood.
Qdog

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 01:59:31 PM »
Hi Qdog,

Star San it is.... I think that I will buy that. it is not that cheap in Denmark - but the amounts to be used are small...

You just dip it for a minute and leave to air dry right?

I agree with the cheese cloth - I will also just boil that.

qdog1955

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 02:31:47 PM »
A little bottle goes a long way----I spray everything, (Uses less then dipping) including work surfaces and let it wet for a couple minutes and then wipe it around to make sure everything gets wet---do not rinse----just read the directions. The biggest problem I have is getting a small amount to mix in my one quart spray bottle-----the directions are for 5 gallons---you know, industrial size jobs. And I might be wrong about this but, I think you have to use the mix within a certain amount of time so you can't store it all week and then use.
Qdog

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 03:00:46 PM »
Qdog, I wasn't aware about that with Chlorox, great to know, thanks.  Danbo, I, too, like to use boiling water where I can, but sometimes it's unavoidable and I have to use chemicals (in addition, I'm planning for a commercial farm and creamery, and it's very difficult to get inspectors to go along with any regime that isn't soaked with chemicals, so there's that).  I'm with Qdog - Star-San is awesome.  I also like One Step, a percarbonate cleaner and, to some extent, sanitizer.

One the shelf life of prepared Star-San, so long as the prepared solution is kept in an airtight container, the anecdotal word is you've got quite a bit of time there.  I believe so long as the pH remains at 3.0 or below, something like that, you've got an active solution (I can't recall where I've seen this...I believe a "clear" v. "cloudy" solution is also indicative of potency.  Sorry, can't recall where I saw this, a quick look on the 5-Star Chem site doesn't discuss this.  Google around, should be some better info).  I've kept mine going this way in 5 gallon buckets for a couple of months or better.  Never an issue.

Edit:  Just found this.  Scroll down.  The podcast given by the Star-San inventor one member refers to is no longer up, but this squares with what I read elsewhere.  Apparently the pH threshold is 3.5, and the key is to use distilled water, as minerals can screw things up.

- Paul

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 04:29:00 PM »
Hi Arnaud,

Thanks for your advice.

Yes boiling is the best but large containers are difficult to clean this way. I have used vinegar on work surfaces etc., but it seems that Star San is the answer for sanitising it all.

One more question... What do you use as "normal" cleaning before using Star San. Would it be good to use Five Star PBW or is it good enough to just use a generic house hold cleaner?

Sorry for all the questions...

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 04:37:12 PM »
Hey Danbo - first of all, I think I can speak for everyone here when I say, never apologize for questions - I've asked a million, and it's the only way I've learned from the more experienced folks here!  :)

On cleaning, I'm a bit less particular - whatever cleans, you know?  I use a dairy milk-line detergent sometimes, but more often than not I just mix up some warm One Step and scrub.  I have to say, though, I'm pretty traditional - I clean largely with mechanical action and, say, in the instance of shelving, use boiling water, vinegar and sunlight to sanitize.  On large vessels, like you're mentioning, my go-to sanitizer when boiling water won't do it is Star San.  But in terms of cleaning, again just my opinion of course, but any number of cleansers work well.  PBW being one, of course.
- Paul

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 04:39:12 PM »
Hi Arnaud,

Thanks again.

qdog1955

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 10:36:21 PM »
Thanks Paul, for the info---learn something new every day.
Qdog

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 04:33:18 PM »
Paul,

Out of curiosity, do you sanitize wooden shelves only as needed, or on a schedule, or ?? I have contemplated converting all of my shelving to wood, but haven't been sure about the implications for what might take up residence therein.

Andy
-- Andy

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 01:49:39 AM »
Hey Andy - I spot clean any black or blue molds as needed, with a vinegar/salt wash.  Thankfully as the cave has matured, the linens and so forth have done well outcompeting any unwanted mold, so that's not much of an issue any longer.  Other than that, I will change out shelving about every 4 months - which is what I would do commercially, meaning shelving is changed for each vat batch, with a typical minimum aging of 4 months or so. 
- Paul

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 04:29:09 PM »
Thanks!
-- Andy