Author Topic: Mongrel Colby  (Read 3915 times)

shaneb

Re: Mongrel Colby
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 02:50:20 AM »
Thanks Mal. I'm only half fixed, but very sore. We are trialling a spinal cord simulator. It's working brilliantly and looks like I'll get great use of my right hand again, however as it is a trial I will lose the device at the end of the week (the wires stay in my spine) and my pain will return. I then need to wait for the insurance company to agree to the implant (very very expensive). Hopefully that surgery will happen in the next couple of months.

I'm looking forward to the next Colby. It will be interesting. It does still have the dodgy rennet though.

I've also been working on some automated stirring for my pot. I'll have to show that at some point. It will help me a great deal. I already used a crude hack of it to make a cambozola before I went into hospital. It has started getting a fluffy white coating while I was in hospital. It was nice to see such a difference from when I left it last week. Will have to post that make also.

Shane

qdog1955

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 10:29:07 AM »
Shane----would be interested in sharing some info on stirring device----have been working on a device for months----now have a device that I think solved all the problems I encountered----will be trying it out today on a Caerphilly make----will see how it works this time.
Qdog

shaneb

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 09:16:24 PM »
Hi Qdog,

The stirrer is extremely simple at the moment. It is a large 24V DC motor from a water pump. I presently run it if 5V to slow it right down, but plan to make it variable so I can go higher or lower. Connected to the motor is a 316 SS shaft which is removable. Simple paddles attach to the base of the shaft and are removable also. I'm not happy with the simple paddles I have on there at the moment. I'm thinking that I need to try a few different shapes. I might grab a plastic ice cream container and cut pieces out of that. I'll drill lots of holes in it this time. I'm a little way off being able to do more on it though unfortunately.

Shane

qdog1955

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 11:53:58 PM »
 Know what you mean about paddles----tried at least 8 different variations until I got one that seems to work----also tried plastic variations with limited success ----I'm using a 12 volt dc window motor from a car----with a variable speed controller----also use an on/off variable timer relay that truly makes it automatic.
 Gave the device it's first real test today on a Caerphilly make and it worked perfectly----but that was made with P/H milk that has a tendency to fractured curds---so I need to test on a raw milk make, and see how that goes.
  Hope you can get back at it soon----like seeing other peoples ideas and experiments.
Qdog     

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 01:08:57 AM »
If there is some proprietary info ... any chance of some pics  8)

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

shaneb

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2015, 03:32:24 AM »
Thanks Qdog. Sounds like you are well on top of it. Maybe I can set up some relay outputs on the temperature controllers to drive the stirrer. Something to look into.

Mal - I'll be happy to send some photos through when I can. I might even have a spare motor I can send your way. Will have to take a look when I've recovered.

Shane