Author Topic: Mongrel Colby  (Read 3914 times)

shaneb

Mongrel Colby
« on: December 22, 2014, 01:31:18 AM »
Hi all,

Yesterday I attempted a Colby. It was a scaled up version of a Mad Millie recipe. Ingredients were:

9L Full cream PH milk
1 1/2 smidgen tsp mesophilic starter (choozit MA 16 LYO 25 DCU)
2 tablets Mad Millie vegetable rennet dissolved in distilled water
4 drops Anatto diluted
4ml calcium chloride diluted

All went well until I cut the curds. At this point of time the curds were sitting at 30°C and resting. The next thing I noticed when I came back to stir the curds was that the water in my water bath was close to boiling (my water bath temperature sensor managed to find its way out of the water) and my curds were at 45°C. I quickly got the pot out of the water bath and started adding in cool water to the curds. I did the washing of the curds early and did it a couple of times. It was all a bit of a blur really. I let the curds sit a while at the 27°C (the proper washing temperature) before draining, salting and pressing.

The cheese came out of the mould looking okay this morning, but what is it going to end up like?

Below are some initial photos.

My plan is to wax it when it dries out.

Thanks for your help.

Shane

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 04:48:12 AM by Shane »

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: Mongrel Colby
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 05:46:34 AM »
Oooh I think there might be a couple of issues.  I'm sorry to say but it may turn out to be a bit of a dead cheese. The Ma Range has Temp growth range is 10° - 42°C (50°- 102° F.) and might not have survived the shock. The only lactic Acid you will have will be from the ripening stage and a little as the Temp ran away... Also, the two rennet tablets ??  Now this is just me but my tablets are so that a 10 litres is usually cogulated with 1/2 to 3/4 (with Lipase added) of a tablet.  I actually stopped using tablet rennet almost as soon as I discovered Floccultion method of determining the correct curring time.  They also, in some circumstances leave a bitter after taste - thats probably me.  This cheese might very well turn out a bit bland and dry.  I don't know if you added salt, so if you didn't there isn't a lot going for it - sorry I know sometimes these cheeses are like your first car and you want to see them go forever, but with the little amount of acid and nothing left alive to keep the process going, it might not survive.  Wax it and give it a couple of months - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Sorry :'(

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

shaneb

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 06:26:31 AM »
Thanks Mal. I thought it might end up a dud. It might be one for the dog. He loves cheese.  :)  With the rennet, I think the Mad Millie tablets are a low strength. On the tablet packet it says 60IMCU per tablet, whereas the vegetable rennet on the cheeselinks webpage is 200IMCU/ml. All of the Mad Millie recipes seem to call for 1 tablet per 4L of milk.

Next weekend I'll attempt this cheese again with hopefully a better result. I'm learning a lot, so I don't mind these little setbacks. That is why I'm using cheap milk at the moment.

I will look at the flocculation method soon. It is something I have been meaning to look up.

Will wax the cheese soon and update the thread in a couple of months time.

Shane

« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 07:55:07 PM by Shane »

qdog1955

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 10:46:52 AM »
Here are some tips that might help---http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13477.msg102711.html#msg102711
Qdog

shaneb

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 08:04:43 PM »
Thanks Qdog. There is a lot of knowledge in that thread. I'll read through it again throughout the week before attempting it again. I just noticed that my silly auto correct got rid of the word flocculation from my previous posting. Very annoying.

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 10:12:58 PM »
Mate ! I'd get some Liquid Rennet and a syringe - your cheese will thank you and the dog might not get any fatter  :o   

Fresh Rennet I get is 200 IMCU as well from Green living - their postage is a bit of a killer - but I'm local - but I have never had a bitter cheese using it.  Do you have somewhere local to get it ?
If you have a look at the following there is an explanation of the 'Floc' method and apart from the earlier recipes all mine uses the same liquid rennet.  The interesting thing is that is is almost a linear result based on ripening time and amount of rennet. 

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10375.0.html

Sometimes Im a bit stingy on the rennet and the Floc time is a little out but if you use the chart for the type of cheese then the cut time is is easily adjusted.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

shaneb

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 12:58:09 AM »
Yeah I stupidly didn't add liquid rennet to my shopping cart from cheeselink as I didn't know any better on the rennet front. I haven't found anything local (I can't drive at the moment). Have you ever tried the Mad Millie liquid rennet (it is 240 IMCU/ml)? The bakery supply shop that I've been buying from may have it. To order the rennet from cheeselink is $15 just for delivery (mind you they express post with ice packs). They are on the other side of the city. I'll check out of the train line goes near them. That might be an option also.

Thanks for your help.

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 01:36:28 AM »
Yes, I have used Mad Millies Liquid rennet. It's stronger (and this too I find is a bit bitter for some cheeses) and therefore plays a bit with the amount you add.  Which, for an unused rennet, is a 'suck it and see' scenario until you are used to it.  Recipes rarely say 2.5 mls of 200 IMCU rennet for 10 litres - which gives approx 15-17 minutes Floc Time BTW.  It's usually in the vague terms of 1/4 teaspoon of rennet or 1/4 tablet - which itself is a bit pointless as tables are differing strengths as well. 

Sorry no definitive solution there  :o

--Mal

shaneb

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 01:46:09 AM »
Thanks Mal. I think cheeselinks is the way to go then. I'll start another shopping cart then after Christmas has been and gone. :D Looking forward to it.

Shane

shaneb

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 04:36:57 AM »
Hi Guys,

Yesterday and today I've attempted another colby. This one was a real mongrel. It was a combination of a number of recipes both found here and elsewhere on the web. Below are my references which I'm very grateful for.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13477.msg102711.html#
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,12292.msg94794.html#msg94794
http://www.cheesemaking.com/Colby.html

I've tried to combine what appeared to be the most important aspects of all of them.

The make went reasonably well. Unfortunately I've still only got the Mad Millie rennet tablets, so I can't improve there at this stage. I tried to document the make as best I could (I was thankfully having a good day pain wise, so was able to hold a pen :)). I've attached my record sheet. I can't recall where this one come from, but it is brilliant and I'm very grateful to whoever made it.

This time I tried to pay attention to pH, although at this stage I'm not skilled enough to make a decision on what to do if I haven't met the desired value. I also stuffed up the setting of the curd. The water bath was allowing the milk to drop in temperature. I tried to compensate by raising the bath by a degree, but I overshot a bit and the curds got a little warmer than desired (although not as bad as last time). I attempted the floc method, but I think it got screwed up by the temperature issues. I'll order some liquid rennet shortly.

The pressing was done under whey up until the 20kg press. I only pressed for 5hrs and then let the cheese sit in the mould overnight without cheese cloth and without weight. This morning I put it into a 22% brine solution for 8hrs. The cheese has now come out of the brine and is now drying in the cave at 10°C. Once dry I'll vacuum seal it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve my next make (other than sorting out my temperature control issues)? Would I have reached my pH targets simply by waiting longer?

I've uploaded a bunch of photos.

Thanks for your help.

Shane

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 04:49:18 AM by Shane »

shaneb

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 01:26:16 AM »
I received my liquid rennet from cheeselinks today.  :) I now have to wait a few weeks before my next make due to surgery though.  :( I didn't time that very well did I?

I made another Caerphilly on the weekend. I haven't had a chance to post it yet though.

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 02:23:40 AM »
Shane,

That cheese looks good to me and the make sheet has all the right bits in it.  It's all in the notes ! Best wishes for a swift recovery and cheese to tie you through :)

-- Mal

shaneb

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 02:27:58 AM »
Thanks Mal. I'll be training my 10 year old daughter to turn my cheese while in hospital. She is up for the challenge. She even offered to cut the cheese....  :P

Shane

shaneb

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 11:23:53 PM »
Well I'm out of hospital now and got to cut open that first colby. As expected it didn't turn out. The taste was horrendous. It will be turfed into the bin. Hopefully the second one is better. I'll open it in another couple of weeks.

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 02:32:38 AM »
Hope you heal well... I did'nt hold out much hope for the first.. the second that should be a lot better.

Get Well Soon..

-- Mal