Author Topic: Wood Fired Oven.....................  (Read 2528 times)

jwalker

Wood Fired Oven.....................
« on: December 24, 2014, 04:46:20 PM »
................I've wanted one of these for a long time , it's finally coming together.

I haven't made any cheese since last spring , but should be back at it next week with a Stilton.
I have however , been busy with other projects , like this , I decided to put it here under "other artisan crafts" , as it is specific to my other crafts like baking/cooking , meat smoking/curing , and and just general outdoor living.

I traded 4 quarts of honey for this old propane "pig" , it was made in 1947 and is made of 1/4 inch steel , I have made the first cuts and have the basic structure underway , I've changed a few things in the process , finding out what works and what doesn't , like eliminating the sand heat sink , as I found some extra thick 2 1/2 inch fire brick , which should absorb a lot of heat in itself.

I've had a fire in it and it draws very well and heats up quickly , even though the chimney hasn't been installed yet , I hope to have it fired up and be using it next week as i have some time off right now.

I had an old cast iron two burner stove top that I incorporated into it , so it can be used as a stove too , with the burners and center piece removed as in the one pic , there will be a grill insert that fits into the space so it can be used as a grill , for cooking over the open fire below.

The body of the tank itself , will be built into a steel/concrete board enclosure which will then be filled with perlite insulation , it should stay hot all day once it is brought up to temps , I will update photos as I progress.

I also have a smoke generator coming , so it will be a smoker/cooker/grill/oven combination.

I have attached a basic drawing of the concept and a few pics of it up to date , I just started on it two days ago , looking forward to putting it into use.

John@PC

Re: Wood Fired Oven.....................
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 02:52:02 PM »
Your are an artist with the torch jwalker.  Not many people can put lipstick on a pig like you can::).

jwalker

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 04:25:15 PM »
Just an update , I have the firebrick cut and installed , I put a baffle at the rear of the cooking area to deflect flames over and around the food cooking area , and installed another air intake in the firebox so it draws much better and heats up faster as well.

I have the door in place and I have made it so it is easily removable , the 6" chimney has been installed as well.

I will be welding the cage around it today that will be covered with concrete board and will hold the insulation around the steel stove.

I am going to give it another test firing today before I cover and insulate it.

It needs to be painted with high heat paint when all the welding is finished.

Wood fired pizza and bread next week !!!

valley ranch

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 06:33:19 AM »
jwalker, We need and update on the woodfired oven. Pictures wouldn't be hard to look at ether. Please.

Richard

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 07:55:05 AM »
What a magnificent example of recycling at its best.
Have a cheese for your efforts. (Perhaps you can smoke it.)
- Andrew

john H

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 10:09:16 AM »
Very nice project jwalker. I love making pizza and have thought many times about building a wood fires stove. Oh well, maybe one day. It is one of those projects that are on the back burner so to speak.  :o