Wood Fired Oven.....................

Started by jwalker, December 24, 2014, 04:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwalker

................I've wanted one of these for a long time , it's finally coming together.

I haven't made any cheese since last spring , but should be back at it next week with a Stilton.
I have however , been busy with other projects , like this , I decided to put it here under "other artisan crafts" , as it is specific to my other crafts like baking/cooking , meat smoking/curing , and and just general outdoor living.

I traded 4 quarts of honey for this old propane "pig" , it was made in 1947 and is made of 1/4 inch steel , I have made the first cuts and have the basic structure underway , I've changed a few things in the process , finding out what works and what doesn't , like eliminating the sand heat sink , as I found some extra thick 2 1/2 inch fire brick , which should absorb a lot of heat in itself.

I've had a fire in it and it draws very well and heats up quickly , even though the chimney hasn't been installed yet , I hope to have it fired up and be using it next week as i have some time off right now.

I had an old cast iron two burner stove top that I incorporated into it , so it can be used as a stove too , with the burners and center piece removed as in the one pic , there will be a grill insert that fits into the space so it can be used as a grill , for cooking over the open fire below.

The body of the tank itself , will be built into a steel/concrete board enclosure which will then be filled with perlite insulation , it should stay hot all day once it is brought up to temps , I will update photos as I progress.

I also have a smoke generator coming , so it will be a smoker/cooker/grill/oven combination.

I have attached a basic drawing of the concept and a few pics of it up to date , I just started on it two days ago , looking forward to putting it into use.

John@PC

Your are an artist with the torch jwalker.  Not many people can put lipstick on a pig like you can::).

jwalker

Just an update , I have the firebrick cut and installed , I put a baffle at the rear of the cooking area to deflect flames over and around the food cooking area , and installed another air intake in the firebox so it draws much better and heats up faster as well.

I have the door in place and I have made it so it is easily removable , the 6" chimney has been installed as well.

I will be welding the cage around it today that will be covered with concrete board and will hold the insulation around the steel stove.

I am going to give it another test firing today before I cover and insulate it.

It needs to be painted with high heat paint when all the welding is finished.

Wood fired pizza and bread next week !!!

valley ranch

jwalker, We need and update on the woodfired oven. Pictures wouldn't be hard to look at ether. Please.

Richard

Andrew Marshallsay

What a magnificent example of recycling at its best.
Have a cheese for your efforts. (Perhaps you can smoke it.)
- Andrew

john H

Very nice project jwalker. I love making pizza and have thought many times about building a wood fires stove. Oh well, maybe one day. It is one of those projects that are on the back burner so to speak.  :o