Author Topic: What to do with whey  (Read 5207 times)

Pete S

Re: What to do with whey
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 11:30:37 PM »
It is a source of nitrogen but don't use to much or you will get all vines and few tomatoes;
                                                                                                                      Pete

TimT

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 12:10:14 AM »
Source of nitrogen? Well now, that's interesting....

I read, maybe at the beginning of last year, that it was good for tomatoes since it was acidic and tomatoes like acidic soil.... I told that to my wife recently and she immediately looked up a source that pretty much directly contradicted this (tomatoes *don't* like acidity, it said).

Perhaps the nitrogen helps to make it a happy environment for yeast - aside from sugar, yeast likes various nutrients; nitrogen is one of those.

knipknup

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 03:57:48 AM »
I make smoothies with it. I love the lactic flavor it adds.

Offline botanist

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
    • CalOakGoats
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2014, 08:37:59 AM »
I agree with the use of whey in sourdough bread--in place of most of the water.  I also sometimes put (failed) cheese curds in my sourdough bread--like curds that are too dry to knit well.  I wouldn't spray it on fruit trees though, as it might provide a great starter for nasties.
before goats, store bought milk = chevre & feta, with goats, infinite possibilities, goatie love, lotta work cleaning out the barn!

gjfarm

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 07:52:11 PM »
Just about any type of baking.  I've used it in quick breads, cakes, cookies, raised dough, etc.  Just substitute it (all or part) for the milk or water in the recipe.  It may make some of your items raise faster  a or be a little lighter.  Using it has never completely screwed up a a recipe on me.

bill shaver

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 03:08:27 PM »
I'd speard it on a fild farm from anyones home as  in summer it brings on the flies & voila...birds show up to.....

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 05:13:35 PM »
I have a friend that raises pigs and they love it!!!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Stinky

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 08:50:13 PM »
Chickens, bread, plants, sink.

qdog1955

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 10:11:35 PM »
When the whey reaches about 4.5 to 4.7 PH ---it's perfect for blueberries, though it should still be diluted with water before adding to soil-----tomato prefer 6.7 to 7.0 ---whey is to acidic.
Qdog