Author Topic: A perculiar question on fridge temperatures  (Read 2659 times)

Matthewcraig

A perculiar question on fridge temperatures
« on: December 27, 2014, 12:39:29 AM »
I appear to be having a slight problem with my new fridge, it being to cold. I know for many people this wouldn't be a problem but for us cheese makers it is, is there any way you can 'warm' a fridge up?? This may be a very stupid question but it's worth a try  :)

CheesyFun

Re: A perculiar question on fridge temperatures
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 07:54:12 AM »
I use a Johnson Controls Digital Thermostat Control Unit.  I bought it through Amazon.com for around $75.  There is a non-digital version for around $59.  It works well, I have no complaints.  Periodically I check it and so far the temperature has been in range.  You plug the controller into the wall and the refrigerator into the controller.  There is a sensor you put inside the refrigerator and close the door.  Good luck, and I would love to hear what you decide to do and how it worked out.

Spoons

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 08:50:59 AM »
I have 2 caves. One with a Johnson digital controller and one digital controller from perfect-cheese.com . They both work really well and keep a very stable temp.

http://www.perfect-cheese.com/temperature-controller

Matthewcraig

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 11:05:26 AM »
Ok, thankyou very much I will look around on the Internet for one and update you once I have found one

Matthewcraig

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 11:46:02 AM »
I have found this online and I was just wondering if this was the kind of equipment you ment Digital STC-1000 All-Purpose Temperature Controller Thermostat Aquarium w/Sensor https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AB8WUP4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_OSPNub013PFBT

Edit: I was also wondering if I could use a reptile thermostat, as the Johnson thermostats previously mentiond aren't available In the UK?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 02:44:05 PM by Matthewcraig »

milkybar kid

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 07:41:04 PM »
Hi matt, was just going to post that for you, it's the one i'm using now. Easy to set up as well, mine is in the conservatory at the moment as iv'e been using winter to cool my cheeses.

Matthewcraig

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 09:48:19 PM »
Thankyou very much for all of your suggestions but after a day of looking around the Internet, and with no past experience in wiring I am going to buy on of these, sadly all the way from China but I guess I can wait, as said by milky bar kid I can use 'winter' for the time being. It is cheap so if all goes wrong it's not a big loss I shall update this topic once it arrives, hopefully it will work  :o

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 08:42:37 PM »
You may want to check how much power that unit can handle and compare it to what your fridge uses.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 09:11:05 PM »
I use one of these for my cave: http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/product/561354/Room-thermostat-Adapter-24-h-mode-20-up-to-70-C-sygonix?ref=searchDetail

It is precise and extremely easy to install but I don't think that it is the right plug for UK - maybe an adaptor will do?

It's a bit pricey but the quality and design is good and I'm very happy with it.

:-) Danbo

Matthewcraig

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 01:06:36 AM »
Thankyou very much for the suggestion Danbo but I have already ordered the thermostat I previously pictured and Slayer i have checked how much power it can handle and it all seems fine, I am only using this on a small firdge so hopefully all goes well, I shall update once it arrives.