Author Topic: Hello from "The Napa Valley"  (Read 3032 times)

chefcay

Hello from "The Napa Valley"
« on: April 05, 2009, 12:47:17 AM »
Hi all,

So glad to have found this site... great info and tomorrow I begin my cheesemaking with my first batch, Chevre'.  I thought this would be a "safe" first adventure. 

Any tips on this process would be greatly appreciated. 

Worlock

Re: Hello from "The Napa Valley"
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 12:50:15 AM »
Good folks here chefcay.... many forums specify each type of cheese... I'd suggest reading what others have done to see if you can replicate/or do your own thing on your specific type of cheese...

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 12:51:15 AM »
Welcome chefcay. I can't hep you with chevre I haven't made that one. I believe there's a recipe in the recipe section though - probably has hint's and  tips in it too. There are several posts about making that cheese look around some you might be surprised.

chefcay

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 12:58:31 AM »
Thanks for the kind words and for the directions, I found the recipe and that's my starting point.   I'm really excited about finally having the time now to make this a priority, who knew a couple of days furlough from work would be a good thing. 

Regards

wharris

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 01:06:29 AM »
What I would not give to live in Napa. 

Welcome to the cheese forum chefcay.

Captain Caprine

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 05:06:18 AM »
Welcome ChefCay,
Plenty of us here in CA.  I'm in Pescadero, Carter is in Burlingame, Lady Liberty is in Santa Cruz and some others that I am forgetting right now.  I make a lot of chevre and I find the keys are, as with all cheeses, good quality milk and nailing the acidification.  Too little and your cheese will be bland and lifeless with none of that wonderful tang but to much and your milk will clabber and you will get a lousy set.
Good luck and let us know how it goes
CC

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 11:39:51 AM »
Morning ChefCay in California!

As posted above, we try to keep the Chevre posts in this board and there is a generic recipe here. I've only tried making it once, with a just a quart of store bought ultra-pasteurized (ie almost dead) goat's milk, couldn't get a good curd set, will have to try again someday with more rennet.

Good luck and if you have time, post your results so we can learn your tricks and traps!

chefcay

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 07:16:58 PM »
Success!! or at least it seems so at this point...  this should probably be posted on another board but since I started here..

I followed the Chevre recipe on the site, didn't curd much on the first attempt, but I reheated it and double the first amount of lemon juice, thanks for the tip on on acidity John, and it curdled right away, then followed the instructions, drained and added a bit of Kosher salt, cracked pepper and dried chive and it is edible, very mild, so I think after letting it set up a few days it should be great.   My recipe was actually, 1 qt. of store bought goat's milk, 3 tbsp lemon juice (which is considerably more than what was called for, but I used Meyer lemon juice I believe this is much less acidic than Eureka lemon juice).  Thanks for the support, can't wait to taste the end product. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 12:07:29 AM »
Congrats CC! Good save!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 12:51:45 AM »
Welcome. What part of napa? I'm in Burlingame as Captain has mentioned.

Captain I was in your neck of the woods on Sat. We went to harley farms and played with the baby goats.

Cheese Head

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 12:54:19 AM »
played with the baby goats

:o :o :o ::)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 01:35:05 AM »
They were cute. I'll get the pics from my GF this coming weekend.

Captain Caprine

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 01:50:53 PM »
You were right in my backyard, I live about 3 miles down the road from Dee Harley.  She certainly has a bunch of little ones out there this year.  I am expecting Honey (my avatar) to kid at any time now, she is two days past due and then I have some more coming in about 4 weeks.  I am finally back on line and catching up on posts as I have been dealing with a "Giant Swiss" drug company swallowing up my little biotech and the ensuing insanity.  I have spent a lot of time as of late talking people off of ledges as they worry about the future of their jobs in a new organization.  I really need a cheese break.
CC