Author Topic: Induction cooktop---any tips on usage?  (Read 4086 times)

qdog1955

Induction cooktop---any tips on usage?
« on: December 29, 2014, 01:33:36 PM »
  Received a Max Burton 1800 watt induction cooktop for X-mas. Any tips out there on using?
After spending the last year trying to perfect all kinds of heating methods on my cheese vat-----it seems I am going to start over with the induction cooktop----so anyone out there with some experience with these devices----how about some pointers on what has been working for you----it would be greatly appreciated, and I'm sure I am not the only one interested.
Qdog

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Induction cooktop---any tips on usage?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 01:36:02 PM »
Qdog, do you mean specifically for cheesemaking?  If so, I'd check with Sailor Con Queso; here, for instance, this thread on mother cultures.  He uses them.
- Paul

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 07:29:06 PM »
I have been using our induction cooktop with 10 l and 15 l pots successfully without a water bath for making cheese and for directly melting chocolate.
The temperature control it gives is great but exact settings will vary from device to device.
I start mine on 5, out of 9, to warm the milk and then wind it back to 3 or 2 (and sometimes 1) to hold it at the desired temperature.
You will need to experiment to find what works for your setup.

-Bill
One day I will add something here...

amiriliano

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 09:47:27 PM »
QDog - nice! Send pics when using

qdog1955

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 11:23:22 AM »
Did a little experimenting yesterday with the induction cooktop---just using water to get a feel of how it works----learned two important facts. One----just because the bottom of a pot looks flat, doesn't mean it is.  The first pot had a slight bow in it, so only a small area was in contact with the cooker----it took almost as long as the gas stove to boil.  The second pot----a very expensive 5 ply S.S ---that was highly magnetic on the side, has an 1/8 inch plate on the bottom that I didn't check-----it's high grade S.S. non magnetic---so the cooktop said "NO YOU DON"T" :(---important lesson----CHECK THE BOTTOM FIRST.
Qdog

H-K-J-----Here are some pics of the stand. I've seen the stuff on your blog, so I know you are perfectly capable of making and modifying any thing you need to.
  Should mention that my vat has a taper on the very bottom that made this possible----the top is 1/4 in plywood, with an 18 gauge metal sheet attached----the hole in the plywood is about a 1/2 inch larger----then used a thin layer of high temp silicone around the bottom, mostly to keep from scratching the glass top. Used plenty of vent holes----used 4   3/4" springs, one in each corner of the base---just enough spring to keep the platform firmly against the vat----hope this helps----if you need more info, just ask.
Qdog
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:04:19 PM by qdog1955 »

amiriliano

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 02:54:32 PM »
Frustrating

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 06:00:03 PM »
I don't know how others like their  cook tops But I LOVE MINE once you get used to how fast it heats you can hold the the temp +/-.5 degrees.
my makes have been much less stressful, I usually start by setting the temp at 175º F. it takes around 30 minutes to heat 5 1/2 gallons of milk to a temp of 75º f I turn down the heat to 120º and let the temp get to were I want it, all in all it takes 45 min. Then I pause the cooker and keep an eye on the temp, then just turn it back on if the temp drops lower than I wanted it heating it back up, that takes just a couple of minutes.
I make sure the temp is up when I add the rennet, thats when the curds are becoming a mass, you don't want to heat it up then Imo.
It didn't take to many cheeses to figure everything out.
I don't have the big temp changes now, that I had with my double boiler method, the curd is more to my liking and the knit seems to be much easier to achieve with less weight and time.
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

qdog1955

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 12:26:57 PM »
Thought I'd update my induction cooktop experiments------first, I acquired a new SS vat ----27 quart, because I wanted to start making 5 to 6 gallon makes---this is a Volrath and of course it's made in China, but I have to say the quality is superb----real heavy duty---this is the best made pot I have seen, well worth the $85.00------one problem-----the vat weighs 12 lbs---that leads to the next problem, the induction cooker says not to place more then fifty lbs. on it and if that is true, then 5gallons is pushing the limits-----do other makes have this weight limit?
  My first experiment----4 gallons of water, 69 degrees to 132 degrees in 1/2 hour---on high---turned it off and it held that temp for over an hour.
Will try some other tests later----and a cheese make next weekend.
  Included some pics in my kitchen---my cheese room is some colder----don't think it will matter much.
Qdog

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 08:38:33 PM »
That certainly is a nice looking pot and I'm glad to see you are getting results!
I was always a devout gas cooker person, now I wouldn't use anything else except induction.
As for the weight, the only way around that is to have something supporting the pot and milk. (Mine is built into the granite bench and doesn't have that problem)
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 02:08:50 PM »

H-K-J-----Here are some pics of the stand. I've seen the stuff on your blog, so I know you are perfectly capable of making and modifying any thing you need to.
  Should mention that my vat has a taper on the very bottom that made this possible----the top is 1/4 in plywood, with an 18 gauge metal sheet attached----the hole in the plywood is about a 1/2 inch larger----then used a thin layer of high temp silicone around the bottom, mostly to keep from scratching the glass top. Used plenty of vent holes----used 4   3/4" springs, one in each corner of the base---just enough spring to keep the platform firmly against the vat----hope this helps----if you need more info, just ask.
Qdog

WOW!! thanks for the pix 8) very interesting (got little vat stands dancing through my head now).
AC4U
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/