Author Topic: Lemon Cheese Attempt - interesting results  (Read 3867 times)

jbrewton

Lemon Cheese Attempt - interesting results
« on: December 30, 2014, 02:48:12 PM »
Attempted to make the following lemon cheese recipe. Using Sam's "Daily Chef" whole milk (Borden's plant 21-054).  I used the same plant to make a successful 30 minute mozzarella.

Prep:
Sterilized all equipment in Star San
Rinsed with tap water and towel dried

1. Used Fresh lemon (added as indicated in recipe at 185 F)
2. Heated Milk to 185 F (turned off heat)
3. Set curd 15 minutes
4. Strained 1.5 hours

Results:
1. Heating time 56 F - 185 F took 25 minutes (avg 5 degrees per min).
2. Curd formation was stringy fibers and no clean break after 15 minutes (temp drop during  time 185 F - 170 F)
3. Strained the curds (170 F) and let them hang for 1.5 hours then added salt
4. The texture of the curds were dry, light and airy.  They did however hold form when pressed between fingers, but no way spreadable
5. Taste was like that of mozzarella with hint of lemon at finish
6.  I do have a pH meter that I will use next run.

I would like to make another attempt since I have the other half gallon left.  Any suggestions to get the consistency more spreadable?

Feel free to point out my mistakes since I am learning.

John@PC

Re: Lemon Cheese Attempt - interesting results
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 04:46:40 PM »
I looked at the recipe and it looks like a make for ricotta or queso blanco except using lemon juice for the acidification instead of vinegar or citric acid, and from your description that's pretty much what you got.  Is it possible to do direct-acidification and get a soft, spreadable result as they describe?

jbrewton

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 04:30:53 PM »
Thanks John@PC,

Being new at this, I have never really had lemon Cheese before so I was not sure what to expect.  I packed it into a container and the next day I was able to cut a block off and crumble over some pears.  texture was nice and almost sweetened the pears (they were a little tart) 

I did make some ricotta with he other half gallon. Used Vinegar at 195 F.  I liked the flavor of the Vinegar better than the lemon juice.

olikli

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 07:39:54 PM »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but when the milk is heated so high, the result will not be spreadable.

Stinky

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 08:20:05 PM »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but when the milk is heated so high, the result will not be spreadable.

Actually, as far as I know this isn't the case. Cream cheese gets heated up quite a bit to denature some of the proteins, and the heating results in more spreadability.