Author Topic: 'Banded Brother' - Classic style - Cloth banded Cheddar  (Read 3366 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
'Banded Brother' - Classic style - Cloth banded Cheddar
« on: January 02, 2015, 12:40:04 AM »
First cheese for the New year - A Cheddar.  This is going to be another Banded Cheese and plan to open it New Years Day 2016... :)
I'll post the control sheet soon.  There are several things different from the previous makes
1. The milk is 100% Holstein Milk - Due to the holidays my normal milk was unavailable.  The local Artisan cheese maker - 'Witches Chase' uses the Scenic Rim 4Real Milk and produces a lovely Cheddar.
2. I'm adding 1/2 a dose of Thermo Sacco MO 92 to see if I can reach the target pH this time.

Time to add the other Stuff - Back Soon.. 8)

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
Re: 'Banded Brother' - Classic style - Cloth banded Cheddar
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 01:13:25 AM »
Got a bit behind but I'm not overly worried - an extra 10 minutes ripening and mucking around with Annatto and CaCl2 but got there in the end.  Added 3mls rennet (200 IMCU) and 1ml of annatto.

It was lucky I went to check the Floc point as I had left the water bath on a low heat and the milk had crept to 33 DegC.  So I quickly removed the milk from the bath and the 5 minute mark. It jiggled a bit so I hope it doesn't upset the curd set.

Back in 50 minutes :) 

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 04:33:34 AM »
Well after 90 minutes stirring I finally got the pH I was after - 6.2.  Now this is very subjective due to the fact that the DuoTest pH strips have such a wide range, but its close.
It's now Cheddaring Time.
1 & 2. My milk - I'll go into that a little later and why I might not use this again
3. Clean again  8)
4. Testing water and milk.
5. One of the views I'll use to explain why I don't like this milk.
6. Not a good curd cut.
7 & 8 OMG Mal'd finally gone digital !!

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 05:15:46 AM »
Although this milk is Un-homogenised I'm reasonably certain it is standardised which means cream has either been added or removed to give a consistent product and also the protein levels and Fat levels are much reduced from my normal milk. This lead to a couple of things not going as I would have liked.
1. The Floc rate was not as fast as it should be and.
2. Although there was additional 20 minutes taken before cutting the curd, it still wasn't as firm as required.  What happened then was the curd was too soft and the protein network too weak to capture as much cream as is should have, hence a very milky, very opaque whey.

Lets have a look after the texturing.

-- Mal 

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 05:31:29 AM »
After about an hour the curd mass has reached somewhere between pH of 5.6 to 5.8 somewhere in the middle but is acidifying well.  Which is great as I will be able to get it under the press in a reasonable time frame. I'll post images later today of the texturing and the pressing..

-- Mal

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 06:58:05 AM »
Looking forward to it... :-)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 07:24:05 AM »
@Danbo I'm sorry  :( - There are no images of the texturing process for this cheese.  The acid rise and a few other issues got in the way. 
But it did look like this
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13629.0.html

Suffice to say the cheese weight will be down due to the lost cream into the whey - and no ricotta today either :( It just didn't go the way I'd planned.  I'll review the notes and post the control sheet soon and would appreciate any comments as to where this one went wrong.

--Mal 

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 09:43:49 AM »
Hi Mal,

I know the feeling - better to save the cheese than playing photographer... ;-)

I'm making a cheddar right now... A 24 liter batch (Peter Dixon recipe).

Unfortunately I do not own a PH-meter - I wish that I had one. My question is: How do I explain that necessary expence to my wife? ;-) When I get one I'm sure that I will get a shock - so much that I didn't know... I have some strips but it's nearly impossible to tell what PH they show...

:-) Danbo

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 09:40:58 PM »
The pH strips are really only any good at the absolutes they display and anywhere in between is an artistic interpretation :).  At least the targets I was trying to achieve are a definite measurement colour range, especially when it goes out of the six's and into the 5's - but that really is it.. cant help with the significant other - sorry

-- Mal

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 04:13:34 AM »
As promised .. My control sheet.

The cheese is still under pressing but is looking the goods at the moment.