Author Topic: Cheese Boot Camp  (Read 5374 times)

SOSEATTLE

Cheese Boot Camp
« on: January 02, 2015, 06:21:01 AM »
The middle of October I had the opportunity to take the Murray's Cheese Boot Camp in New York City. I have been working on improving my general knowledge of cheese, not limited to cheesemaking. I would highly recommend this course for anyone with a similar goal. The course covers the history of cheese, some basic cheese science, cheese tasting/evaluation, and food pairings. I think I ate more cheese and drank more alcoholic beverages than I think I ever had in my life  8).

The highlight for me was taking a field trip to visit Murray's caves. The ran out of space for the caves they had with their store, so have moved them offsite to to their distribution facility.

Here are a few photos:

Murray's shop

Murray's counter

Bloomy Rind Cave:

Sainte Maure

Crottin

Valencay

Alpine Cave-"Aroma" was quite strong of ammonia. Someone described it smelling like a cat box that hadn't been cleaned for a month  :o

Comte

Tarantaise-delicious  ^-^

Rupert

Washed Rind Cave-Didn't really smell too bad  ???:. Didn't get much time in there.

Natural Rind Cave:

Caerphilly

Bayley Hazen Blue

Stilton

Fourme d'Ambert

Young Hudson Flower

Aged Hudson Flower

Susan
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 06:56:45 AM by SOSEATTLE »

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: Cheese Boot Camp
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 06:55:09 AM »
Heaven! ;-)

John@PC

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 10:15:37 PM »
A cheese indeed for those beautiful, mouthwatering pictures (and hoping the hangover wasn't too bad 8)).  SC is a long way from NY but I became aware of Murry's through a customer in Vermont (Consider Bardwell Farms) who sells their cheese through Murry.  Thought it might be appropriate to give a link for CBF and Murry's in case your inclined for some of Vermont's finest.  I also know members are out there who know the Consider Bardwell Farms story, but if not (and especially if you love cheese AND goats) I recommend this book by Angela Miller.

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 02:30:10 AM »
Thank you  ;D. That book sounds interesting. Will have to pick it up one of these days.

Susan

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • It aint easy being cheesy
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 02:40:14 AM »
Very cool.  I've been in the Beechers just south of the flatiron bldg (Broadway & 20th St).  I was super impressed by the cheese attendant's knowledge.  The mgmt of Beecher's must really care.  I'll look for the place with the caves and tour next time I'm in the city.  Thanks!
- Andrew

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 02:25:18 AM »
I didn't make it to Beechers in New York, but I'm sure you know that it is based here in Seattle. Love their cheese  ^-^ and like to go down and watch them make cheese on occasion. Haven't been down there lately-maybe on the next day off  :).

Susan

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 02:01:33 PM »
For the past couple years a friend in New York has sent me a cheese gift selection from Murray's. Most recently, the selection included an interesting little cheese that I had never enjoyed before: La Tur. It's a wonderful combination of cow, sheep, and goat milk that is oozy on the outside, a little denser towards the center, and a delicate tang overall. Yum! :D

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.