Author Topic: Dissolving Rennet  (Read 614 times)

Offline SailingHome

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Dissolving Rennet
« on: January 03, 2015, 06:55:03 AM »
Well, TiT (This is Thailand) and bottled water as well as tap water does not let me get a clean break. Can't I just remove the amount of cultured milk or use more new milk to dissolve the tablet or drops? I am tired of throwing out good milk :)

Offline John (CH)

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 61
Re: Dissolving Rennet
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 12:01:35 PM »
Hi Sailing

Tablet Rennet is notorious for its lower than rated efficacy which can be degraded by age and improper hot storage conditions. Suggest Search whole forum for word tablet and you will find several threads.

Also, you don't mention milk type, assume retail past & homogenized cows milk from store. Here in Qatar that milk in plastic jugs is not labelled Ultra Pasterurized but it must be as shelf life is at least 1 month. Suggest your milk is same in which case UP milk is difficult to get a rennet gelled curd.

Recommend on next batch you significantly increase rennet dosage to get a good set, ie double it.

Backup plan as always, if no gel, make cream cheese.

Offline SailingHome

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Re: Dissolving Rennet
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 09:21:49 PM »
Hmmm. OK. That makes sense. I import the rennet from USA as I can't find any here. I tried tablets and liquid. The tablets were shipped in the cool season and are in my freezer. The liquid was shipped in warm season, about 85F, and is in my refigerator. Both are animal based. I read that vegetarian rennet is not as sensitive.

The milk in Thailand, by law, must be pasturized. It is a higher heat than American milk, but not so high as to be UP. This was good quality whole milk that I have much success with in quick acid cheeses with no rennet. Amazing queso blanco with high fat content.

How do I take it to cream cheese from a muddy break? When I make cream cheese it is usually Labneh drained or mesophilic starter and cream depending on the taste I am after. No rennet.

Thanks!