Author Topic: Rennet paste, "normal" rennet and lipase  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Rennet paste, "normal" rennet and lipase
« on: January 04, 2015, 06:56:49 PM »
Hi folks,

My normal supplier of cultures does not have lipase (??). I could of course buy the lipase from another supplier, but my supplier has something called Liquid Rennet Paste Picante: http://www.hundsbichler.com/php/liquid-rennet-paste_en_14.html

I'm wondering if I can use this rennet paste instead of my normal rennet + lipase... In other words: Can this replace the need for adding lipase when making feta?

No matter what I will try this rennet paste as it seems more natural and maybe can inhance the flavour.

:-) Danbo

SOSEATTLE

Re: Rennet paste, "normal" rennet and lipase
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 02:27:16 AM »
The product sounds interesting  :D.  The statement "it also contains enzymes that split fatty acids" would seem to indicate the presence of lipase since that is an enzyme that splits fatty acids. Would be fun to experiment with.

Susan

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 03:50:20 AM »
Rennet Paste is just another form of rennet and is not a substitute for lipase.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 07:21:27 AM »
The product sounds interesting  :D.  The statement "it also contains enzymes that split fatty acids" would seem to indicate the presence of lipase since that is an enzyme that splits fatty acids. Would be fun to experiment with.

Susan

That's correct, it does contain lipase, Susan, much like rennet prepared from fresh vells, unlike the more commonly used, liquid rennets, which contain no lipase. 

However, the paste is "engineered" with specific ratios of chymosin, pepsin and lipase, and knowing how much lipase is in there is difficult (I haven't been able to find this information).  I use Hundsbichler's/Walcoren's dolce, which is the calf rennet.  I like it, gives a more "rustic" and "animal" quality, in my opinion.  You can smell a pronounced "cheesy" aroma right away, in the paste itself. 

Danbo, just a guess but I think you'd be fine going with the piccante, or even the semi-piccante; as it's made from goat's vells and it contains lipase, much like macerated kid (or lamb, in the case of the semi-piccante) rennet.  Rennet paste is what's made and used in traditional, artisanal making in these regions, after all.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 07:27:57 AM by ArnaudForestier »
- Paul

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 08:14:12 PM »
I think that I'll order some Rennet Paste Picante and see if the taste IS "picante". If not I will buy additional lipase later on...

I'm excited to try the rennet paste. I assume that the risk of contaminating the cheese with something is no higher than when using "normal" rennet...

Thanks for the replies! :-)

:-) Danbo

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 11:05:37 PM »
Just received some "Sweet Rennet Paste" (calf) from Artisan Geek and am looking forward to trying it. I am a bit concerned about how much to use. With "normal" single strength calf rennet (also Aritisan Geek) I use 1.5 to 1.7 ml for 2 gallons with a flocculation time of about 12 to 15 mins. This bottle suggests about 2.5 ml for 1 gallon. Seems like a lot. How much rennet paste are you using per 4 liters, or 1 gallon??
Susan

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 11:11:40 PM »
Also, the standard rennet from Artisan Geek suggests the same 2.5 ml per 1 gallon - way more than I tend to use.... What to do?
Susan

Kern

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 12:14:05 AM »
Caldwell states in Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking that rennet paste contains lipase (page 157):  ""...traditional feta often is made using rennet paste, which includes lipase from the young animal's stomach."

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 05:20:32 AM »
Susan:

Normally I use 8 mls for 24 liters if milk (2,5 mls for 8 liters) - that gives me a floc. time of 12-15 minutes. The strength of my rennet paste is 1:15000. As you know it all depends on the milk. I'm using organic pasteurized milk (not homogenized).

I also have some normal single strength rennet (1:15000) and I use a bit less than if using the rennet paste - not a big difference though.

I like the rennet paste and I use both a calf-version and a goat-version depending on the type of cheese to make.

I think that I would follow the guidelines on the rennet paste that you bought to start with...

Good luck!

:) Danbo