Author Topic: First Post - First Tomme - Im not sure this mould growth is correct. Looks scary  (Read 5493 times)

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
That is really really nice! :-) How does it taste?

A cheese for that...

:-) Danbo

Stinky

Mm, it looks yummy. :)

Mermaid

Good work salvaging that cheese! Looks delicious!

John@PC

A great looking result worth a cheese.  Looks like your "cheese CPR" was successful.  One thing I thought about while reading your post is there is you can beat back "wild" and volunteer molds by using a "protection" wash with a b. linens solution.  I started using one after reading Alp's treatise on washing alpine cheeses and have used it on tommes, alpines, caerphillys, and others.  You do get a bit of the red mold flavor (which I love) but you end up with a beautiful yellow-orange rind devoid of what I call "sunspots".  If I don't want the wash I let it go and do what you did and scrape the surface mold off.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Good save. Wow, that's a pretty young Tomme. About 4 weeks?  ???

Along with linens to protect the rind, you can blend a little Geo to reduce the stickiness of the linens.

Edit: Removed faulty link. :(

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 05:46:02 PM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

John@PC

Along with linens to protect the rind, you can blend a little Geo to reduce the stickiness of the linens. Here's an example.
-Boofer-
Boofer, I'm having a problem with the link.  Not sure it's on my end but very interested as I haven't used geo as a "wash".

Pjfraser82

Thanks for the Cheeses.

Yeah it taste's great. Possibly very slightly bitter but overall I am very happy with it.

I have the rest vac packed and will keep trying it as it ages some more.

Will try some of the suggestions here. On my next one.

Mermaid

Boofer- link not working for me either

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Most molds can just be managed with brushing.  A natural rind is a beauty to behold to many of us and it needs to go through this adolescent "spotty" stage first.  Humidity is important like others have stated.  If you want to avoid mold you could experiment with rubbing a coat of coconut oil on it.  You'll need to monitor it for a while and add more where  the layer things out.  If you see any mold on the coconut oil just add more or massage it into the layer.  Works great.