Author Topic: Tomme - Vacuum Seal  (Read 2460 times)

Pjfraser82

Tomme - Vacuum Seal
« on: January 07, 2015, 02:38:27 AM »
If a Tomme takes 2 months to age at what point could I consider vacuum sealing it?

Cheers.

Stinky

Re: Tomme - Vacuum Seal
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 02:41:05 AM »
If it's similar to waxing, after a few days, once it's nice and dry.

Pjfraser82

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 02:49:48 AM »
Ok no worries. So the Vacuuming I see quiet often in the cave threads here is really just a replacement for waxing?

Stinky

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 02:58:26 AM »
Well, after reading someone else's post, they let it dry for 10 days; I'm assuming to let moisture seep out if needed.

But they're essentially the same idea. Protect the cheese from losing moisture and making it lower maintenance while compromising the integrity of the rind.

Pjfraser82

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 03:02:23 AM »
Thanks for the heads up.

I have a lot to learn.

Stinky

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 03:08:20 AM »
Don't worry, we all do.  ^-^

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 04:50:52 AM »
If the humidity in your cave is right, you may not need to vacuum it right away. I used to vacuum them all when the rind seemed dry, because I had a problem with cracks forming in the rind. More recently I do not vacuum them unless there is cracking (happens on cheddar sometimes) or if I need to stack cheeses for more room. Sometimes I vacuum seal them if I am going to be away for an extended time so there is no maintenance.
Susan

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 03:12:54 PM »
Don't forget, you can also cream-coat to seal/protect a cheese and still allow gas exchange.

Vacuum-sealing sometimes pulls moisture from deep within the cheese. You then end up with weepage in the bag. :(  Cream-coating fairly eliminates the weepage problem.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 04:32:37 PM »
Or how about the coconut oil sealing approach? I still have not tried cream coating or coconut oil! Or an oil and spice rub! So many potential ideas and still more to try! I did buy some cheese that had a film of paracoat or something similar on the rind - I did not like that because though considered edible I felt like it was eating plastic.
Susan

John@PC

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 10:28:01 PM »
Susan, I do like coconut oil (thicker and more protective than EVO).  It doesn't prevent surface mold growth though (kind of like a cloth bandaged with lard doesn't) but a light scraping gets rid of the mold and surface oil.  I do want to try paracoat because of the mold inhibitor, but have to wait till the warmer months to order to prevent freezing during transit (or so that's what Dairy Connection tells me).

Pjfraser82

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 10:45:19 PM »
Boofer, I did see one of you other posts regarding your cream coating. I will give it a go one day but ill try to stick to the basics for now I think.

I cannot believe how specific cheese making is yet it has so much room for creativity and experimentation.

8 Months into my cheese making journey and I cannot believe that something I have taken for granted for so long is so fascinating. 

John@PC

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 02:51:34 PM »
I cannot believe how specific cheese making is yet it has so much room for creativity and experimentation.

8 Months into my cheese making journey and I cannot believe that something I have taken for granted for so long is so fascinating.
Those sentiments are shared by all here and worth a cheese for you learning it as well :).