Author Topic: 3rd Leerdammer  (Read 1359 times)

qdog1955

3rd Leerdammer
« on: January 07, 2015, 07:55:54 PM »
 My 1st Leerdammer was good-----my second was like the first----but the third is excellent----the flavor is like a blend of baby Swiss and Jarlsberg. The texture is perfect. Once again the eyes are a little small, but I can live with that ;) The whole warm phase, 4 weeks, it was coated in olive oil---so was a little surprised at how firm the rind is, but tastes good. Still experimenting with olive and coconut oil and lard.
  This is a great cheese considering it is only 6 weeks old---don't know if further aging will change the flavor----in fact I don't know how long a Leerdammer ( Masdaam ) can be aged.

Sorry photos are not better, but my tongue was throwing a party for my mouth and drool was getting in the way :D

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: 3rd Leerdammer
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 08:42:50 PM »
Yummy! :-)

One more cheese in your basket...

:-) Danbo

John@PC

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 10:35:33 PM »
Beautiful!!!  A cheese as well (as much for the artistic presentation as the cheese).

Stinky

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 11:36:14 PM »
Looks good. :)

I've been reading recently that pressing under whey initially, without allowing air pockets to get into the curds, results in larger holes. If air gets in, or so I understand, then there can be many little holes in which the PS works its magic, but none of them will grow very large. But if you don't allow air to get in when you're first pressing the curds, then you'll have fewer, larger holes. I think.