Author Topic: David Asher Rotsztain & Natural Cheesemaking  (Read 2233 times)

StuartDunstan

David Asher Rotsztain & Natural Cheesemaking
« on: January 07, 2015, 10:16:15 PM »
Hi folks. Just wondering if anyone has heard of David Asher Rotsztain from The Black Sheep School of Cheesemaking? Or attended one of his classes? I recently came across his website and was quite intrigued by his more natural approach to cheesemaking and reduced reliance on industrial moulds/starters. Just curious if anyone takes this approach to their cheesemaking?

Anyway, I see he has a book out in July this year: http://thewayofcheese.com/2014/12/30/the-art-of-natural-cheesemaking/ Given that it has a foreward by Sandor Ellix Katz (author of The Art of Fermentation, which is a truly wonderful book), I think I'll be picking this one up when it's released.

Frodage

Re: David Asher Rotsztain & Natural Cheesemaking
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 06:37:05 AM »
Hi Stuart,
I've exchanged a few emails with David. I am also trying to source my supplies locally. When I discovered that P. roqueforti was all around me, I became convinced that it's possible, at least to some degree.

Bloomer

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 01:05:16 AM »
Hi Stuart,
After reading David's article regarding blue cheese mold on Curd Nerd site this past April, I emailed him and he responded.  Our local Grub Club hosted him to put on a three day cheese conference in mid-June.  It was absolutely fabulous. 

I just posted a more in-depth response on the thread started by Amiriliano, Anybody Buying this New Cheesemaking Book?

David's book is groundbreaking.  In this instance, the old ways are much better and safer--especially important in this time where mega farm lots with one type of animal are breeding grounds for a variety of super bugs. 

StuartDunstan

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 01:11:19 AM »
Thanks Bloomer. Heading over to the other thread now to have a read. :)