Author Topic: Calcium Chloride  (Read 829 times)

milkybar kid

Calcium Chloride
« on: January 07, 2015, 11:20:15 PM »
I think i have made a bad mistake...i have without counting up, about 16-17 cheeses in two fridges, at the correct temp, which my first one, a stirred cheddar was made on the 4-5 nov, so, just over two month old, plus other cheeses out of Cheese Making, by ricki caroll, probably made two a week, different cheeses, the last 2 being a caerphilly and a wenslydale. I bought cc off ebay, a kilo in a tub, i  it's 100%. when i read of cheese makers selling cc it's usually 33%, iv'e been adding my cc as it says in the book,if it said 1/2 tspoon, then that's what i put in,....only at 100%.. i had a little taste of a quick make cheddar that can be eaten within a month and it is bitter, will my cheeses get any better or is it time for a clearout ? I have ordered the correct dosage cc at 33% and wilL be using this in the future, what do you think ?. I'm peed off to say the least.

Stinky

Re: Calcium Chloride
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 11:32:51 PM »
I honestly don't know. But I wouldn't be too surprised that the month old cheddar doesn't taste ideal, as cheeses that have not been aged long enough tend to be underwhelming.

shaneb

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 11:39:24 PM »
I'm actually interested in this also. Are recipes always with 30% CC? My first batch of CC was 30%, but I noticed that my new batch from cheeselinks is 50%. I have been going by the suggestions on the CC bottle though rather than the recipe, so I think I'm okay.

Thanks.

Shane

John@PC

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 03:01:00 PM »
Here's a link to a reply Pav gave a couple years ago about bitterness.  I wouldn't think excess CaCl would cause it but maybe someone else can confirm.  My first cheddar was bitter - never tracked down the problem but since following recipes better I haven't had that problem (knock on wood).