Author Topic: Cloth Bandaging A Cheese  (Read 9638 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Cloth Bandaging A Cheese
« on: January 09, 2015, 10:29:49 PM »
So after me banging my drum for so long I thought it was high time I posted how I Cloth bandaged my Cheddars.  But before I start I will state that this can be used for any cheese normally wax coating or PVA liquid coated (still not sure about that one  :o)  The lard/cloth clothing allows for gas exchange CO2 and others but, is an effective moisture retention and mould barrier.  Some of my cheeses have ended up after 9 months with a very interesting colony of moulds. 

Let the adventure begin

First step the outside of the cheese needs to be dry and cold.  I place it in my 'Cave' overnight before I cover it as it helps keep the lard solid.  You will notice as you do this that the lard will melt even just from body temperature of your hands.

I use 3 layers 2 of loose weave cheese cloth and 1 of Butter muslin -  you can use more no rules there.   You will also need as many strips of cheese cloth and butter muslin , the circumference of your cheese, as you have layers planned, for the side of the cheese.  So that is 6 disks 4 of cheese cloth and 2 of muslin and 3 long strips of the same material.

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
Re: Cloth Bandaging A Cheese
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 10:37:26 PM »
BTW the disks need to be slightly larger than your cheese to wrap the and protect the edges of your cheese.  Don't worry about being exact as it will be covered in glorious fat.

I use lard that is 100% pork fat - if your dietary requirements preclude this then really any shortening that is in a solid state in your fridge.  My wife uses Crisco for cake decorating when making her buttercream. I'm not allowed to use that !!  Its all about creating an environment where the cheese is safe without imparting any additional flavours to the cheese. 

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Stinky

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 10:46:24 PM »
Hmm, the one time I did it mold got under the cloth. I think it needed more butter or lard. Much more.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 10:55:59 PM »
Before I continue a question from the forum...
@Stinky
Yes mould will get into the layers but there don't get to the cheese - mostly.  Have a look here http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13721.0.html .  As you peel back the layers the moulds come away with them.

To the covering.  This is just a repeated process.

1. apply lard all over
2. add top layer of cheese cloth and rub it into the lard, firmly but not too hard, as this is about impregnating the cloth and not loosing too much lard.  You'll see what I mean when you start doing it.
3  Add the bottom layer and repeat. 
4. turn cheese on its side - sorry no photos for these as lard is coating everything by now - happy place. ::).  smooth the edges over and then lay one of the strips long the edge of the cheese completing the seal and securing the edges.
5. Add a little more lard all over - not too much ready for the next layer !!
6. Repeat steps 1 - 5.
7. Before you start the next layer - frill the edges of the last two disks (butter muslin) by cutting 1/4 inch slits around the edge, it helps when forming the edges.
8. Repeat steps 1 - 5.

Stinky

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 11:00:20 PM »
Yes, but this was all the way in. Cheese was no good.  :P

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 11:06:57 PM »
@Stinky - more lard.  I would tend to stay away from using butter as it can go rancid.  I've had Lard covered ones in the cave for nearly 12 months with no off smells.

One interesting bit here is that if you use boards in your cave and you put your newly bandaged cheese on them flat, it will be like an octopus chucked on a pane of glass.  It sticks tight and getting it of again will probably ruin you nice covering.  My solution it to put a small dowel or strip of wood in the cave and rest the cheese on that, remembering to turn the cheese a 1/4 turn when you turn these cheese as per normal. stop the bowing of your cheese.

Happy bandaging  O0

-- Mal
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 12:16:48 AM by OzzieCheese »

Stinky

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 11:14:54 PM »
So turn it around a corner but never flip?  ???

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 11:29:54 PM »
Oh Sorry I just saw what you were referring to .. You still need to flip your cheese as normal and re-position it 1/4 turn from the original position - well anywhere really as long as it doesn't go back into the same spot.

sorry for the confusion.

-- Mal

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 02:09:04 AM »
Lard is used to cover the cut end of hams when cold smoking.  Lasts for years, yes years. Glad to hear you can use Crisco.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 06:19:29 AM »
It looks really really nice! :-)

shaneb

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 06:40:25 AM »
Looks good Mal. Just curious whether you could use copha (mostly coconut oil) instead of lard. I know some vegetarians that eat cheese, but perhaps lard may put them off. When I've got a bit more experience I'd like to give this a go.

Thanks.

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 06:53:02 AM »
Probably could use copha , im not sure if there is a taste to it. Crisco is a bit expensive from US foods so i suppose any fat still solid at room temp should be fine.

shaneb

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 07:02:46 AM »
Thanks.I might have to buy some. I thought it was largely tasteless. It is cheap and easy to get, so would be a nice alternative.

Shane

shaneb

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 02:51:23 AM »
Hi Mal,

Approximately how much lard do you use for your 10L cheddar make? I'm going to attempt to cloth bandage my newest cheddar.

Thanks.

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 02:54:57 AM »
Hi Shane, I go through about 1/3 to 1/2 a block of the lard in the pictures.

-- Mal