Author Topic: Brining V's salting?  (Read 1094 times)

lazyeiger

Brining V's salting?
« on: January 10, 2015, 04:12:21 PM »
Another question fro my upcoming Jarlsberg make.

When making cheese with eyes typically one adds a PS culture. As I understand it this culture makes CO2 which in turn forms the eyes.

PS is sensitive to salt, I think all the recipes I have seen call for brining theses types of cheeses, is there any reason not to dry salt (like Caerphilly or Brie?)  I would think that control of the amount of salt would be easier than brining?

if one brines is there a way to measure how much salt the cheese has taken up from the brine?  Maybe by measuring the salt concentration of the brine before adding the cheese and then again after taking it out?

Can you use a refractometer for this??

Jon

Stinky

Re: Brining V's salting?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 04:21:13 PM »
With brining, there's only so much salt that gets absorbed. Usually, a strong enough one strengthens the rind so that not too much more is let in. A general rule for PS cheeses, I believe, is 3 hours per pound of cheese. So you don't leave it in that long.

With Emmental, I believe many cheesemakers in Switzerland brine, and then rub salt and b. linens on. This will draw moisture out of the cheese and then they just rub it around, inoculating it with the linens. It's cleaner and makes a less stinky and smeary rind than washing, but the rind is thicker and the cheese is dryer.

LoftyNotions

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 06:36:47 PM »
Hi Jon,

I'm currently coming down on the side of dry salting. I think there are a lot fewer variables. I haven't done it for any eye formers. Here's a reply from Linuxboy that I saved a while back. Here's the thread: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,5947.0.html.

Re: Salt, Amount For Making Cheese (If Not Defined In Recipe)
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 10:40:16 AM »(Linuxboy)
If you want generalities:

chevre and similar fresh lactic or semi-lactic curd: 0.8-1.0
Bloomy rind types: 1.0-1.6%, depending on style
Milled curd types like cheddar: 1.8-2.2%
continental types: 1.6-2.0%
various cheese with eyes: 0.7-0.9%
pasta filata types: 1.2-2.0%, wide range here
Blues: 2.2-3.5%

2.5% for a fresh lactic cheese is about average, the salt helps to balance the acidity. A little high to my personal taste, I use less salt. I'll use about 2.5% for a higher fat lactic curd.

HTH,

Larry

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »
IMHO dry salting is much more complicated and variable. For example, salt falls off of the sides so they will not be salted as evenly as the tops. Use a saturated brine and soak the cheese for 3-4 hours a pound. Flip at the half way point. Voila. The goal of salting/brining is not just to add salt to the cheese per se, but primarily to pull moisture out of the surface to help start a rind.