Author Topic: Smoked paprika and olive oil---what to do next?  (Read 5326 times)

qdog1955

Smoked paprika and olive oil---what to do next?
« on: January 12, 2015, 11:14:18 AM »
Have recently coated an Asiago with an olive oil and smoked paprika rub----most of the info from the Forum----this is supposed to age out 2 to 4 months-----What's the best way to do that? Vac bag?  Any suggestions?
Qdog

Stinky

Re: Smoked paprika and olive oil---what to do next?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 10:26:55 PM »
You should be fine ripening it as usual. The rub should help prevent mold, if not completely block it.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 12:56:49 PM »
if you see mold developing on it I suggest massaging it into the oil/paprika coating.  If you need to you can add a bit of oil. After a while a while mine didn't get any molds and the coating looked like leather.  Post photos?

qdog1955

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 09:41:43 PM »
 I should have been more specific in my post-----My cheese cave is very low humidity----because I'm color blind, and all molds look basically  the same to me, I have stayed away from natural rinds, so most of my cheese is waxed or vac bagged---I have been experimenting with olive, coconut oil and lard. I believe this is a copy of one of your makes-----the problem----the oil never seems to dry out, and yet the rind seems to be getting very hard and maybe thick---I would prefer it doesn't get to thick. Don't know if it matters, but this was a raw Jersey and PH mix. Any suggestions?
  Have posted a couple Pics.  Sorry, hard to get good picks with the stainless tables.
Qdog

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 11:15:03 PM »
I guess if it's low humidity you can keep adding coconut oil anywhere the rind looks dry.  I had a low humidity wine cooler I used and this technique worked.  I noticed I had to add more coconut oil sometimes because it either got absorbed or something else.  Let me know how it goes.  I think you could keep layering on a paprika and oil mix as well.  I think the coconut oil provides more barrier than the olive oil but that's just my guess from my usage. 

Mermaid

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 04:59:39 PM »
holy moly those cheeses are beautiful!!
Do you think it would be weird to do this rub on an alpine cheese? I've been considering it but unsure . Thanks!

Stinky

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 07:47:17 PM »
I suspect it'd work better with Italian than alpine cheeses, based on the flavor profile. But you could try it.  :)

qdog1955

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 09:56:01 PM »
  I decided to vac seal the cheese and keep an eye on it.
Mermaid-----the great thing about making your own cheese-----you can do what ever appeals to you------it's great fun experimenting------the main reason I used the smoked paprika, is I wanted a slight smoke flavor and have been to lazy to fire up the smoker---that's code-- for getting to old to stand outside in freezing cold weather ;)----I also liked the look---after seeing Tiarellas on this site---just had to try it.
Qdog

Mermaid

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 04:54:27 PM »
I'm trying this rub on a cheese now. How often should I re-oil and add paprika?

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 05:14:25 PM »
I used a thicker layer almost like icing a cake.  I watched it and only rubbed some oil on it if I saw some mold.  Post photos!!!   :D

Stinky

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 05:21:52 PM »
I'm trying this rub on a cheese now. How often should I re-oil and add paprika?

We-ell, I started by oiling it it once, at 3 days or so. And after a week of aging I did a minor one of these, waited every few weeks, and did another one. I suggest oiling either weekly or bi-weekly. You can either add the paprika in installments or like Tiarella, using a huge amount of paprika at one time.

qdog1955

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 09:23:51 PM »
I think either way will work---but me being the cheap skate, and smoked paprika being kind of expensive----I went with one fairly heavy coat and then sprinkled a little more on every couple days-----by the way I'm going to try this come Wednesday, that will be two months, maybe a little early-----but just can't wait to much longer ;D
Qdog

qdog1955

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 06:27:09 PM »
 Opened the olive oil and smoked paprika Asiago  today--- a little young at just over 2 months. Excellent flavor---good texture----can't say I taste much smoke flavor-----but the color is neat----stains the heck out of cutting board, seems Clorox won't even remove it.

Here's a couple pics.
Qdog

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »
I did one a while back and got everything to set up one of my smokers as a cold smoker.  Didn't get any smoke flavor either as I recall but I think I really needed to smoke it for a long time to achieve that.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 06:42:38 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 06:43:41 PM »
Beautiful cheese Qdog. Have a cheese! :-)