Author Topic: Hi from Puerto Rico  (Read 765 times)

felku

Hi from Puerto Rico
« on: January 13, 2015, 06:34:20 PM »
 I recently got some interest in making my own cheese and I have searching for information. I gladly found this forum and I expect to learn and share my experience here.

I have been reading some books and in the same time looking at videos and there is a question that is bugging me , what is the difference in using Thermofilic starter for Mozzarella and using acid. Most of the books present you recipes using Thermofilic starters but in all the videos I have seen they use citric acid.

PS. If you don't understand my English sorry for that, is not my first language.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Hi from Puerto Rico
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 07:37:25 PM »
Felku, welcome to the forum!

When it comes to Mozarella, the key is reaching the right level of acidity -- if the acidity is too low, the cheese will not stretch; if it is too high, it will fall apart. The goal is a pH of around 5.2.

One way to achieve that level of acid is by letting the thermophilic bacteria create it -- they eat the lactose (sugar) in the milk and convert it to lactic acid. Of course, it takes a bit of time to reach the right level, anywhere from a couple of hours to overnight, depending on conditions.

Adding acid to milk to make Mozarella is a shortcut, allowing you to skip the bacteria altogether (although some people do some of each). This is where the "30-minute Mozarella" comes in.

In theory, both should work. For what it is worth, however, I have had very poor luck with 30-minute Mozarella (adding acid). I have had much better results with letting the milk culture -- but of course, you have to keep an eye on it so that it doesn't go too far / too acidic. A pH meter definitely helps, though there are ways to test without a meter.

Perhaps an even more important point is that the taste of the bacteria-ripened Mozarella is far, far better. And if you add a pinch of lipase, even better yet!

If you search on the forum, you will find quite a lot of posts reflecting on experience with various approaches to Mozarella -- enjoy!

P. S. I visited PR a few years ago, and loved it -- we have been wanting to go back!
-- Andy

felku

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 07:55:40 PM »
Thanks a lot for your reply, it did answer my question. So far I love this forum there is so much information here.

PS. I'm glad you like it here, is a good place for vacation because you can visit the beach all year but I have to admit things are expensive here compare to other Caribbean countries.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 09:43:27 PM »
Since I spent the first 12 years of my life in the Philippines, what I especially like about PR was how much it reminded me of the PI. It felt like going home!
-- Andy