Author Topic: Stinky's Emmentaler #1  (Read 7640 times)

Alpkäserei

Re: Stinky's Emmentaler #1
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 04:37:10 AM »
when developing the rind there should be nothing but native bacterial and yeast growth (or introduced Linens if you like)

The idea here is, we fight down the less desirable growths of mold and yeast that don't look or taste very good.

After the rind has formed and the cheese has settled in, you can allow (and people often do) some mold growth to happen. Typically, for example, Berner Alpkäse will develop a white dusting presumably from geo. Other locations you might get a white mold growth, but the undesirable molds and yeasts will no longer grow

For my cheeses I like to maintain a golden brown rind, so I won't let white mold or geo grow to a very great extent before I wash them. Since I am doing this for business, it's important that my cheese retains a uniform and 'clean' appearance. This means that every wheel needs to get washed once or twice a week.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 01:56:44 PM »
I want to make one of these, perhaps next weekend, for a 8 gallon make.  Just got in all fresh cultures and shermani for it.  Hope I can get it to swell.  Yours looks good to this point.  I can never get mine to swell but plan on picking Alps brain for this one.  Hopefully he can show me the error of my ways.  ???  AC4U
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Stinky

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 02:33:37 PM »
I want to make one of these, perhaps next weekend, for a 8 gallon make.  Just got in all fresh cultures and shermani for it.  Hope I can get it to swell.  Yours looks good to this point.  I can never get mine to swell but plan on picking Alps brain for this one.  Hopefully he can show me the error of my ways.  ???  AC4U

I think my problem is acidity? Not getting it low enough? I'm going to research this more before I make my next one, which will be soon.

Stinky

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 07:56:06 PM »
Update.

I gave it a little wash because I realized I was supposed to periodically do that and I haven't been?

Stinky

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 02:07:11 PM »
Aaaach, I cut this this morning. It's everything I hoped and more. Sweet, nutty, slightly sharp, lovely. Pictures to come.

Stinky

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 05:43:47 PM »
Ah, I haven't put pictures up.

So I'm almost halfway through this wheel and enjoying every bit. I even tried some Swiss Emmental in comparison and it was nowhere near as flavorful. I rather prefer mine to the other, even if it's not an Emmental per se. Or if it is perhaps it has just aged way more because it's much smaller. Quien sabe.

bratrules1

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 07:30:46 PM »
Looks great!!!! AC4U.

shaneb

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 09:02:05 PM »
Yum! Looks excellent. Have a cheese from me too.

Shane

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2015, 02:09:27 AM »
So, about 4 months aging, right?

That seems to be a satisfying affinage point for a number of my favorites. ;)

I would agree with your opinion on the commercial cheese versus your version...I've had that experience on several occasions myself. 8)

A cheese for your efforts. Nice cheese.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

amiriliano

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2015, 02:17:54 AM »
Looks delicious! AC4U!

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 04:55:15 AM »
Great! AC4U. :-)

Stinky

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2015, 01:31:01 PM »
Thank you guys!  ;D

So, about 4 months aging, right?

That seems to be a satisfying affinage point for a number of my favorites. ;)

I would agree with your opinion on the commercial cheese versus your version...I've had that experience on several occasions myself. 8)

A cheese for your efforts. Nice cheese.

-Boofer-

Yes. I took it out almost the whole 120 days. Almost because I had to leave for a week, but no importa.

What are they? Your favorites.

I just wonder how fast this ages, comparedly.

Thanks!

LoftyNotions

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2015, 06:12:34 PM »
Good work, Stinky. AC4U.

Larry

Alpkäserei

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2015, 02:39:54 PM »
On the subject of commercial vesus home made,

Something I always remember when visiting Switzerland, they don't sell their good stuff to other countries.

That means the Emmentaler you buy in the US is authentic, but it's not nearly as good as the cheese you can get here.

I have never in my life had any sort of Emmental style cheese that can in any way compare to an 14 month Swiss Emmentaler

The Emmentaler, Gruyere, Appenzeller, etc. are all 400 times better here than what they export.

Don't want to crash your party, just to remind you that Swiss cheese still is king  ;)

jmason

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2015, 03:12:04 PM »
Nice.  It's a style that's a way down on my list to try in part due to small aging space, but someday.

AC4U

John