Author Topic: Dog treats no refrigeration  (Read 1034 times)

Lloyd Thompson

Dog treats no refrigeration
« on: January 15, 2015, 04:48:23 PM »
Hi. I saw a post on one of my dog groups from someone selling goat cheese dog treats that are all goat's milk and require no refrigeration and have no preservatives. Since I'll be milking two goats in a few months I'd LOVE to be able to make some goat cheese dog treats (don't gasp...we eat plenty of our goat cheese ourselves!) .... but have no idea how one would make such treats that wouldn't require refrigeration! Any thoughts? The photo of the treats makes them look as if they were formed in small molds...can't tell if they were dehydrated or what.Thoughts?????

SOSEATTLE

Re: Dog treats no refrigeration
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 02:14:30 AM »
My guess would be that the treats are dehydrated.

Susan

Lloyd Thompson

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 11:35:08 AM »
Thanks. That's my guess as well. I'm a new cheesemaker and have only done soft goat cheeses and feta so I'm still new enough not to want to "waste" a cheese experimenting...but when my two does kid in the spring I suspect I'll have (knock wood) a FLOOD of milk and then will a happily experiment with my dehydrator and cheese.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 02:31:49 PM »
Dog biscuits can be either dehydrated or baked like a cookie. Just substitute whey instead of water for any recipe that you find. Dogs LOVE them. I'm not much of a cat person, but even finicky eaters will devour these. And whey is loaded with Riboflavin & B vitamins.