Author Topic: Maintaining natural rinds  (Read 5827 times)

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Maintaining natural rinds
« on: January 15, 2015, 09:09:53 PM »
Hi there,

I wash my cheeses with 10% saltwater every second or third day...

Would it be an idea to add Choozit Geo 13 (Geotricium) - and how much - to the wash water each time. I'm a little scared of Listeria etc. and therefore I change the saltwater every time.

I don't think that drybrushing will be sufficient at the moment...

:-) Danbo

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Maintaining natural rinds
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 11:32:22 PM »
I just dry brush and let the rinds grow some amazing natural stuff on them.  I've even left them for months without brushing in a much too humid cheese cave area and they were fine once brushed.  In fact, I just opened 2 tommes and a Caerphilly that were all ages about 14 months under too humid conditions and they are lovely with craggy rinds and all I did was dry brush.  For me somehow I feel like a "real" cheesemaker when I have these unique natural rinds.  Perhaps you're looking for a totally clean rind?  If so you could rub with coconut oil and continue to coat it a few times (put the oil in a soft place to soften bit and smear on with your hands).  Once the coating is keeping the rind from drying out too much it's easy to just massage it if you see any  spots of mold.

Stinky

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 01:06:55 AM »
Yes. Dry brushing works great. You get mold, but there's no big deal.

Stinky

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 07:59:04 PM »
Hi there,

I wash my cheeses with 10% saltwater every second or third day...

Would it be an idea to add Choozit Geo 13 (Geotricium) - and how much - to the wash water each time. I'm a little scared of Listeria etc. and therefore I change the saltwater every time.

I don't think that drybrushing will be sufficient at the moment...

:-) Danbo

Another thing here is that if you have Listeria in your kitchen I'm fairly certain you have other problems.  ;)

qdog1955

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 08:19:51 PM »
I keep all my washes in spray bottles----have one with wine, water, salt-------one with a lite brine-----one with a heavy brine------one with a brine and vinegar------you get the idea-----I can just spray my cheese with how much I want and where I want, without worrying about contaminating the wash solution. The spray bottles are inexpensive.   It works well for me.
Qdog 

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 08:45:35 PM »
Nice idea qdog and a cheese for you!
Susan

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 08:51:57 PM »
Stinky: I guess you're right. I'm very thorough (misspelled?) when cleaning and sanatizing the kitchen. :-)

Qdog: Why didn't I think of that. It's so simple and yet clever. I'll try that - worth a cheese! :-)

Stinky

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 09:07:08 PM »
It's spelled properly.  :)

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 09:09:13 PM »
Hurrah!  ;)

Stinky

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 09:09:50 PM »
Hurrah!  ;)

Made any cheeses of late?

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 09:20:09 PM »
No new cheeses the last couple of weeks...Spring is comming and the garden, patio and greenhouse needed some attention  8) . Also I really needed a break after having made cheese almost every day for weeks...  :o

But... After this easter I will start up again - promise!  ^-^

Stinky

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 09:21:54 PM »
No new cheeses the last couple of weeks...Spring is comming and the garden, patio and greenhouse needed some attention  8) . Also I really needed a break after having made cheese almost every day for weeks...  :o

But... After this easter I will start up again - promise!  ^-^

*taps foot*  >:(

Mermaid

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 09:27:43 PM »
Qdog- great idea with the spray bottles!! How often do you need to change the brine in the bottles/ does it get gross of in there too long? AC4u!!!

Danbo- I fully support your break in cheesemaking . The spring is a good time to get ready for the crazy summer. Also thanks for asking your question I was wondering if I should add geo to my wash also- thinking it could potentially fight back the blue mold a bit. Who knows !

Stinky

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 09:33:00 PM »
Qdog- great idea with the spray bottles!! How often do you need to change the brine in the bottles/ does it get gross of in there too long? AC4u!!!

Danbo- I fully support your break in cheesemaking . The spring is a good time to get ready for the crazy summer. Also thanks for asking your question I was wondering if I should add geo to my wash also- thinking it could potentially fight back the blue mold a bit. Who knows !

It would not be a bad idea, but don't think that's your issue.

Mermaid

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 10:17:02 PM »
What's my issue?