Author Topic: Maintaining natural rinds  (Read 5826 times)

Stinky

Re: Maintaining natural rinds
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 10:25:07 PM »
Well, getting blue mold. Either the spores are freely roaming around or you're encouraging the conditions overmuch.

Try oiling the next cheese you make. I'd suggest an Italian type for that. You could see if it grows it as much.

Also, do your cheeses get blue mold coming back and back or does it slow down at a certain point? I've found that the second to the third or fourth week are when molds attack the most, but if you drive them back they stay away once your rind is good enough.

Kern

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 12:43:23 AM »
I keep all my washes in spray bottles----have one with wine, water, salt-------one with a lite brine-----one with a heavy brine------one with a brine and vinegar------you get the idea-----I can just spray my cheese with how much I want and where I want, without worrying about contaminating the wash solution. The spray bottles are inexpensive.   It works well for me.
Qdog

Great idea.  Last year Walmart's garden area was selling fantastic little spray bottles for about $7.  These were pressure bottles that one pumped up.  When I started making cheese several months ago I had two left and now use one to hold a freshly made Clorox solution (1tsp Clorox/1 gallon of water) and the other for undiluted white vinegar.  I use the Clorox bottle for to disinfect surfaces, sinks, vats, etc. and the vinegar to spray on my hands before touching cheese, ingredients, tools, etc.  I wipe the liquid off with paper towels.  Next time I'm by a Walmart I'll stop and see if these are still available.   :D

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 02:53:40 AM »
I keep all my washes in spray bottles----have one with wine, water, salt-------one with a lite brine-----one with a heavy brine------one with a brine and vinegar------you get the idea-----I can just spray my cheese with how much I want and where I want, without worrying about contaminating the wash solution. The spray bottles are inexpensive.   It works well for me.
Qdog

Great idea.  Last year Walmart's garden area was selling fantastic little spray bottles for about $7.  These were pressure bottles that one pumped up.  When I started making cheese several months ago I had two left and now use one to hold a freshly made Clorox solution (1tsp Clorox/1 gallon of water) and the other for undiluted white vinegar.  I use the Clorox bottle for to disinfect surfaces, sinks, vats, etc. and the vinegar to spray on my hands before touching cheese, ingredients, tools, etc.  I wipe the liquid off with paper towels.  Next time I'm by a Walmart I'll stop and see if these are still available.   :D

Just a note; I always thought that bleach dilutions would last for a while but I hear that not really more than a week at the very most according to some.  Bleach in the bottles doesn't last more than 6 months even and there's info online somewhere about how to decipher the expiration code if you want to make sure the bottle you're using hasn't already expired.  Learned this from farm biosecurity disinfecting info. 

qdog1955

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 10:36:24 AM »
Wish I could take the credit----but I'm pretty sure the idea came from the forum----maybe Al Lewis? No they shouldn't go bad----unless they have whey in them-----and Yes, some people use Geo and the red stinky stuff in spray bottles---haven't done that, so can't tell you how that works.
Qdog

John@PC

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 10:52:24 PM »

Just a note; I always thought that bleach dilutions would last for a while but I hear that not really more than a week at the very most according to some.  Bleach in the bottles doesn't last more than 6 months even and there's info online somewhere about how to decipher the expiration code if you want to make sure the bottle you're using hasn't already expired.  Learned this from farm biosecurity disinfecting info.
That's what I understand too Kathrin.  The Chlorox website says the sodium hypochlorite in liquid bleach will eventually loose it's chlorine and break down to a salt and water solution.  At room temp. shelf life should be 1 yr. but that can be affected by higher temperatures so if you do have a sprayer with a bleach solution it should keep pretty well in a cool 55F environment.

Kern

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 12:34:30 AM »
That's what I understand too Kathrin.  The Chlorox website says the sodium hypochlorite in liquid bleach will eventually loose it's chlorine and break down to a salt and water solution.  At room temp. shelf life should be 1 yr. but that can be affected by higher temperatures so if you do have a sprayer with a bleach solution it should keep pretty well in a cool 55F environment.
[/quote]

Better yet make up a new solution whenever you make cheese.   ;)