Author Topic: 17th Caerphilly – Milled Curd with crumbly texture  (Read 10088 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
17th Caerphilly – Milled Curd with crumbly texture
« on: January 17, 2015, 12:20:16 AM »
17th Caerphilly – Milled Curd with crumbly texture.

Today I’m using the make procedure from the G.Caldwells ‘Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking’.  But there are a few modifications the first is the culture as I don’t have MA 4000 I am using a straight Sacco MO 030 with a ¼ of the amount of the MO 036R culture.  I don’t want a hugely open texture and so I’m going to take the pH a little lower at the texturing stage to a possible pH 5.3.

I'll update my 'XX' details as the day rocks on.. yes.. photos as well  ;D

10 Litre of my favourite milk – Maleny Un-homogenised milk. 3.9 fat 3.3 protein
1 dose of MO 030 plus ¼ dose of the MO 036R.
1/8 tsp CaCl2 in ¼ cup of Non-Chlorinated water.
2.5 ml of 200 IMCU rennet in ¼ cup of Non-Chlorinated water. – this also a change from the recipe as I know I can get a good curd from this milk at this when a Floc Multiplier of 3-3.5 is used to get a coagulation goal of 45 minutes.
I wish I had the mould mentioned in the recipe but at the moment it is not possible to get mycoderm or mycodore in Australia, yet.
Salt.

The instructions in the book are a bit in conflict with how I know the Maleny milk responds but apart from the amount of rennet I'm concentrating on the physical things after the Curd has set - this is different from what I normally do for a Caerphilly. 
The stacking in the pot sounds different so I'll take photos of my interpretation of what I think she means.   

9:10 Heat milk to 30 Deg C
9:37 26 Deg C
9:43 28 Deg C
10:00 Add cultures and stirred for 1 minute.  Let ripen at 30 Deg C for 60 minutes.  Mal:Edit I was commented as I was typing the method from the book - Doh!  – now this is quite a range due to the reduced rennet am opting for the longer period of about 60 minutes.  Sorry for the confusion
11:00 Add the Calcium Chloride mix stir and let rest for 5 minutes.
11:08 Add rennet.  Stir gently and thoroughly for I minute.  Check the Flocculation point and use a 3 to 3.5 multiplier to determine the cut time for a goal Coagulation time of 45 minutes. 

Floc Time: 17 minutes X factor of 3 = 51 minutes

12:00 Check curd and if clean break. If the whey is not clear or yellowish wait a further 5 minutes and re-test.
If clean break cut into ½ inch cube and let rest for 15 minutes.
12:15 Stir for 15 minutes at 30 Degrees.
12:30 continue to stir and heat to 33-34 Deg C over 15 minutes.
Hold at this temperature and stir to prevent matting until the curd passes the curd matting texture test. This may take up to 1 hour.  The pH goal is 6.52 – 6.45 and with these strips I’ll be just guessing so an hour it is.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 05:03:44 AM by OzzieCheese »
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
Re: 17th Caerphilly – Milled Curd with crumbly texture
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 01:00:18 AM »
Progress pics.

It all starts with a clean slate ...  Time for the Calcium Chloride and the Rennet..  Back soon..

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 04:55:40 AM »
13:00 start stirring.
14:00 stirred for an hours and checked the Curd and it worked as described.  Grabbed a little of the curd and squeezed it in my hands until whey stopped coming out and turned my hand upside down. It stuck and therefore I’m sure its ready.
Drained the whey and now stacked and cut and rotated the stack every 15 minutes.  Looking for a Curd pH of 5.7, not that I can accurately do that with the strips so its guess work from here.
2:40 Checking Curd – squeezing curd over the strip looked like 5.9. But its’ still guessing.
3:00 Checking the Curd again.  Still not down far enough...

Next step is Mill the curd and add 1 teaspoon of non-iodised salt..

Nearly pressing time and I'm going to use my old pressing routine.

Pressing and Dressing procedure
1.   Press for 10 minutes @ 10 lbs.  Remove from the mould rub salt in the top and the bottom redress .
2.    Press again with @10 lbs. for 10 minutes. 
3.   Repeat and re-press @ 15 lbs. for 20 minutes. 
4.   Unmould re-salt and redress and press again @ 25 lbs. for 16 hours. 

On the press I am using .75kg @ 60cm and 1.5kg @ 70 cm which gives me 8Kg at the cheese and 2kg @ 80 for 25lbs.

Photos soon..
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 05:05:58 AM by OzzieCheese »

shaneb

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 06:03:56 AM »
Hi Mal,

This is sounding good. What type of store do you buy your 2L bottles of UH milk from? Our local woolies only has 1L cartons of organic milk that is UH. It costs something like $4/L. That seems a little pricey for me at the moment. I have found Sun gold milk which sells Jersey milk, but it is homogenised. I haven't tried buying it yet though as I need you track down a local retailer. I do have a sales rep phone number though.

Thanks.

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 09:37:36 AM »
Hi Shane,
The Maleny Dairy is a local north coast that Food works carry and some health food stores @ $4.55 for 2 litres.  Norco Also supply Coles from the Lismore milk factory @$4.00 for 2 litres.  These are 2 local milks so I don't think they are available where you are.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 09:40:10 AM »
This is how I interpret the stacking of the curds.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
And then press and salting. Only a light press to consolidate the curd and gradually increase for the over night pressing.  Still want this to be slightly crumbly so I don't want to over press this cheese.

And a batch of ricotta to finish...about 300 grams

shaneb

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 09:59:02 PM »
The Maleny Dairy is a local north coast that Food works carry and some health food stores @ $4.55 for 2 litres.  Norco Also supply Coles from the Lismore milk factory @$4.00 for 2 litres.  These are 2 local milks so I don't think they are available where you are.

Thanks Mal. I will have to do a bit of a search. There must be something local. I might ask my former dairy farmer uncle to see what he knows. There are dairy farms in all directions around me, so hopefully they don't all provide their milk to the one cooperative.

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 01:12:38 AM »
And here are the photos out of the press

approx. 1.2 Kg from 10 litres.. Very closed rind with a couple of wrinkle marks from the cheese cloth but overall a nice make.  Proofs in the eating and we'll see what it is like in 3-5 weeks.

Time for another Cheese adventure.. maybe something Alpine...

-- Mal

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 01:55:30 AM »
Beautiful result Mal!  A cheese for you!!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 02:42:40 PM »
looks like the knit went well Mal
Have a cheese from me, great looking Caerphilly
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 03:01:13 AM »
One of the frustrating things is measuring pH.  I didn't place too much stock in that until I tried following a recipe that used pH markers with the DuoTest Strips.  OMG how frustrating !!  I have excellent colour vision and I am having dificulties in guessing where the Ph changes between values indicated on the colour Dial -- Arrgggghhh ! Solution - My lovely wife... After visiting
http://www.perfect-cheese.com/
It was deceided that it was time for a more professional and repeatable measurement of pH - Thanks John - (Unsolicited plug BTW).  Looking forward to a new era of Cheese !!

-- Mal

shaneb

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 03:14:13 AM »
Nice. I have one of those cheapie $12 digital ones from eBay. It seems to work a treat. Each time I've checked the calibration it has been bang on and it produces results very quickly without much liquid depth required. I used to have a more expensive HM Digital PH-200 meter, but it was quite slow to give an answer and now the electrode is stuffed. The replacement electrode for it is a fair percentage of the total cost of the meter.

Shane

Stinky

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 03:31:28 AM »
It don't get too salty?

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 06:24:40 AM »
Not really as although there is salt added to the curds there is some lose during pressing.  and well that's not a good recipe - and I thought I went over it-- ingredient list - salt - well duh !! but how much ??
I add 1 teaspoon when milling the curds
and use 1 table spoon during the pressing. The outside still only uses 1 tablespoon  - in total.  just to clarify - the table spoon for the outside is for all three changes of the cheese cloth. Not one per redress and the forth step is with out any further salt. 

I can understand how authors make mistakes and have omissions. Gah !!!!

-- Mal