Author Topic: Great Mold for Blues?  (Read 16929 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Great Mold for Blues?
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2015, 08:17:40 PM »
The molds seem to settle down a bit after the rind forms.  Nothing to feed off of I guess so the holes are less likely to close up.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 06:00:42 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2015, 08:04:06 PM »
Re-pierced this top to bottom today.  Smells great and the small bits taste great!

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2015, 08:26:30 PM »
I know this isn't the right forum thread but, I did promise.  Here is Cave MKIII.  VinTec Climate control fridge with humidity control, well if you can call about 70% RH humid. The Cave Cube is still needed.  There are two fans in this one (3 if you count the cube).  1 to circulate the air - 1 to provide humidity control.  The cube hardly runs.  One thing I have learnt in this is that the normal action of a fridge suck the moisture out very quickly.  Goes from 90 to 70 in a couple minutes. The Cube then increases it back to 90-91 just as quickly.  Going to try Natural rind next week to see how it matures.

Keep you posted.

-- Mal

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2015, 08:38:56 PM »
It looks really nice! :-)

I like the glass door and the nice wooden shelves - and ofcourse the cheese!!!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2015, 08:49:12 PM »
That's a beautiful unit Mal!  I too love the glass door and the wooden shelves.  Did those come with it to did you build them?  Very nice indeed!!  Is it a purpose built unit or a wine fridge convert? Once in a while I get really annoyed when I see something like this on here and know that it's not available for purchase here in the states.  Europe, Australia, and Canada get some really cool toys.  When I was living in England I had to restrain myself from buying a lot of cool things due to the electricity difference.  BTW it's my thread so you go ahead and post whatever you like my friend!! ;D

LoftyNotions

« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2015, 12:04:37 AM »
That's really nice, Mal. Congratulations.

Larry

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2015, 03:06:42 AM »
Ah Al, you're a frustrated gadget guy as I.  The fridge is a purpose built wine fridge, designed with keeping corks moist and wines at their best maturing Temperature which is basically the same as our cheese 10-12 DegC.  The wooden shelves came with the unit but I'm unsure of the coating.  That said they wont be in direct contact with the cheese unless they are cloth bandaged, Vac Bagged or waxed.  I using my old shelves as maturing boards as I know they are clean - mostly :)

after a few email discussions with John (@PerfectCheese) we came to the conclusion that there isn't a fridge built that does all that we need. Even this one needs watching as it builds up water in the condensation tray faster than it uses it back into the fridge.  It's not anything I can do as the condensation tray is internal. I'll need to investigate a way to syphon off some of the water.  Might mean a hose and a syringe to extract it. It is pretty cool and I do feel very spoilt.

I hear you re: the different voltage stuff. I searched high and low for something as versatile and programmable as the "cave cube" here in Oz and nothing came close.  I have just received a camembert request from my daughter so thats is this weekend.  Getting casein withdrawal symptoms - haven't made cheese in two weeks.

Hope you are recovering well.

-- Mal

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2015, 03:08:56 AM »
Feeling much better.  Back to work tomorrow and I believe I may have actually hacked the Vacherin Mont D'Or.  Check out the thread.  Really do love your new cave!!!

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2015, 03:34:51 AM »
Thanks Mate :).  Glad you're functional again.

Going to try 'Vacherin Mont D'Or' This looks a very interesting cheese - I'm wondering what Oz bark I could use - you got me thinking  :)

--Mal

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2015, 05:23:27 AM »
Al: Glad that you are feeling better... You have so many cool (and cheap) gizmos in the US...

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2015, 03:01:23 PM »
Going to try 'Vacherin Mont D'Or' This looks a very interesting cheese - I'm wondering what Oz bark I could use - you got me thinking  :)

--Mal

Eucalyptus?

:) Somehow the combination of eucalyptus + cheese is not very appealing ... but then again, I don't like vegemite, so ... :)
-- Andy

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2015, 07:36:18 PM »
Thanks Mate :).  Glad you're functional again.

--Mal

Well whatever it is it had better taste good because it becomes part of the cheese. LOL  They say the spruce gives it a "woodsy" flavor.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2015, 08:28:09 PM »
I'm thinking along the lines of Paper Bark or Tea Tree Bark.. Yum O ! cant wait to try this one.  You're a genius Al !

-- Mal

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2015, 11:45:31 PM »
I'm thinking this one may be ready to cut.  Put the trier into it today and saw good veining and the taste was excellent.  Wanted to wait another week but I'm very tempted to cut it tomorrow.  Have to let the curd sit overnight for the next one.  Want to do another 6, or even an 8 pound, one next time though.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2015, 12:44:27 AM »
Cant wait to see this puppy !