Author Topic: Beer Infused Cheese  (Read 3305 times)

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Beer Infused Cheese
« on: January 18, 2015, 08:43:08 AM »
Just opened my latest beer infused cheese. It turned out well. Not an overwelming taste of beer but a slight tone complementing the cheese.

Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the actual make.

The recipe: http://www.cheesemaking.com/beerchs.html

:-) Danbo

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: Beer Infused Cheese
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 02:07:15 PM »
Danbo
now that is a great lookin cheese :P
how long did you age this for?
AC4U
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 02:40:29 PM »
Hi H-K-J,

Thanks! :-)

Actually it has only matured for a month. It's very mild but I have vacuum packed it for further ageing.

I just had to open a good cheese today as my Asiago turned out to be a late blower... :-(

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 05:41:24 PM »
This one should more than make up for the Asiago, it's beautiful  I messed my Asiago up when I did it but in a different way.  It still came out great though.  Never done a beer cheese but with all of the micro-breweries around here I may have to try.  Can you use an amber ale in this?
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 09:29:29 PM »
Thank you Al,

The first beer infused cheese I made was with a pale ale, so absolutely an option.

In this make I was interested in getting more beer flavor so I choose a very dark local beer (with added licorice). I expected an intense tone of beer but I don't think that it is actually much stronger than the first make.

Some beer infused cheeses have beautiful patterns where every little curd is clearly visible (see recipe). Maybe color is added to the curds right before moulding - I don't know...

I still need to enhance the beer flavor somehow - but still a very tasty cheese after all...

StuartDunstan

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 02:55:03 AM »
Wow, that looks amazing Danbo! I have been eyeing-off this recipe for a while and might give it a go next, I think.

Did you wax yours? Or go a natural rind?

Cheers,
Stu.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 05:59:39 AM »
Hi Stuart,

Just a plain natural rind washed with 5-10% saltwater every second or third day. Actually not that hard to keep the rind clean on this cheese.

Still want more beer flavor next time though...

If you choose to make it then please post some images - I would like to follow your work...

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 05:15:07 PM »
Bought this Cahills Original Irish Porter Cheese today... Wish that I was able to make that... How do they do it?

Offline Therese556

• magpewVE
  • New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 06:19:05 AM »
I love cheese so much and I wanted to ask if does anyone ever tried infusing cannabis on their food especially on cheese? I have read many articles suggesting that cannabis has a very potent effect when it comes with pain and inflammation like this strain www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/can-stress-cause-hermaphrodites/. The reason for this is that I dont smoke so mixing it with food seems a good idea. Any personal experience or testimonial is highly appreciated.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 01:15:51 PM »
I can’t imagine that would taste good. But maybe that’s just me. If the idea of tobacco flavored  cheese doesn’t turn you off then perhaps you’ll like the cannabis.
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 03:34:25 AM »
According to Wikipedia THC has very low solubility in water, so I'm going to guess that it wouldn't work particularly well.  You might be able to use dried cannabis in something similar to a sage derby, but I also don't think it would taste very good.  I don't actually know what cannabis tastes like, but as a Canadian I've smelled the smoke enough to have a rough idea (personally not a fan at all).  Interestingly some of my friends in my old home brewing club made a cannabis IPA and apparently it was quite good.  They dry hopped the beer exactly like you would with hops.  Cannabis and hops are related and I can see the aroma being similar.  I think I would go with that approach instead -- THC is very soluble in alcohol.  They claimed that the approach was very effective in achieving the "medicinal" effects they were seeking as well as being quite delicious.

whatisboom

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 05:57:05 PM »
THC is soluble in fats too (look up cani-butter recipes). I could imagine the process working similar with milk/cream.