Author Topic: Camembert rinds too thick and papery  (Read 3462 times)

Seattle Slim

Camembert rinds too thick and papery
« on: January 19, 2015, 11:02:18 PM »
I have been making Camemberts pretty successfully with a rennet curd using c. 1/24 t. PC (Neige) and 1/4 of that amount of Geo per 2 gallons of milk. The taste of the cheeses is very good and they are ripening very nicely about 21 days after I put them in the refrigerator. But the rinds are thicker than commercial Camemberts and a little papery. Any ideas as to the cause of this problem (if it is a problem) and what might be done about it?

SOSEATTLE

Re: Camembert rinds too thick and papery
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 02:22:54 AM »
Do you pat the mold down and flip as the cheeses are ripening? I pat down and flip mine daily. This keeps the rind a little thinner. Do you have any photos?

Susan

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 06:07:27 AM »
Would it be a low humidity problem? I keep mine in the plastic boxes till we consume it and I don't wrap or pat down the mold.

Check my pictures here

shaneb

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 06:31:15 AM »
Gürkan - I'm interested in the ripening boxes. Do you keep them totally sealed up or do you leave them partially open for ventilation. My last one gave off a lot of ammonia. I'm trying to avoid that again.

Thanks

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 12:49:16 AM »
Hi Shane,

For the ripening containers I use these... Though I don't buy them from here - Woolies and Coles carry these.

http://www.greenlivingaustralia.com.au/cheese_hardware_ripening-box.html#ripening_box

I find that two cams work perfectly... Three is possible but it get a bit crowded and they ripen too slowly..

Hope that helps..

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

shaneb

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 01:07:33 AM »
Thanks Mal. Do you leave the vent open or closed? I use the systema boxes with a fresh bamboo mat for each batch. I have the lid not fully on a large bamboozle that I started early last week. It has a nice coating of white fluff all over, but am unsure whether to keep well ventilated other than when I do my flips morning and night. I haven't seen anyone mention what ventilation is required for cam/brie during maturation.

Thanks.

Shane

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 02:03:54 AM »
I open my ripening box daily and let the cheeses have a chance to get fresh air. Also, I keep the ripening box closed but not tight so that there is some ventilation.

Susan

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• Old Cheese
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 02:25:28 AM »
Slim,

My boxes are these

As you see the shelf in there is sitting at halfway. The other box Mal linked has a steamer mash which is very close to the bottom. I bought the boxes from Target as muffin carrier boxes.

I keep them all sealed but turn the cheeses every day, so the air in there refreshed. The fridge is about 10-11 degrees celcius. Mold appears on the cheese on the second week. And once it covers the cheese, I take the temperature to 4 degrees celcius.

shaneb

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 02:31:06 AM »
Thanks Susan. The box I have is not quite square. I have the lid rotated by 90° so that there is a slight air gap at either end. There still seems to be humidity in there. Is that okay?

Gürkan - Do you continue turning twice daily in the fridge?

Thanks.

Shane

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• Old Cheese
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 04:50:10 AM »
Shane, yes, till the PC covers the camembert. After that I just leave them in the fridge, in their boxes.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 06:37:11 AM »
I keep mine closed and wipe out every day when in the warmer 10-12 Degree C phase and after I move them to the 4 Deg C Fridge - every other day. I dont bother wrapping either - but I think I've said that but, just in case :). I also use the ones like the white ones for my Fetta-ish cheeses. I turn the platform upside down so it keeps the cheese under the brine.  Lotsa variation on that theme ...

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

shaneb

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 07:02:00 AM »
Thanks guys. That is very helpful.

Shane